Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Pajunk catheter - anyone know anything about this?

(4 Posts)
ThisIsMyTruth Sat 13-Nov-10 19:36:04

Hiya
My mum was told yesterday by her consultant that she should think about having a pajunk catheter inserted - she is in a lot of pain with her back, and standard analgesia isn't touching it sad. However, she is a bit confused about what it is, how it works, what the implications are etc. She knows she can speak to him again, but wants some basic info first so she knows what to ask iykwim - her consultant seems to be a nice man, but always in a rush...
Any medics out there/anyone actually had one?
TIA

ThisIsMyTruth Sat 13-Nov-10 21:11:27

Anyone? smile

ThisIsMyTruth Wed 17-Nov-10 11:19:17

Last bump for any medics?
x

sheba1 Wed 17-Nov-10 20:48:11

Pajunk is a brand name - it doesn't describe the type of catheter. I would imagine that the consultant is talking about inserting some sort of tube that can deliver a local anaesthetic directly into the painful bit of her back.

I don't know a huge amount about them, but one approach would be to have a list of questions prepared in advance. I would want to know how the catheter is put in, how much pain relief to expect, what are the incidence and severity of any complications and how it is taken out. Oh- and how long it can stay in.

Having some questions prepared means that she can be a bit more in control of her consultation. Otherwise she could find herself agreeing to a treatment she isn't fully informed about.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: