Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

All knee geeks over here please, DD(13) due to have lateral release surgery soon but is it a good idea?

(10 Posts)
mumonthenet Sat 13-Nov-10 11:18:27

Help! I've got to make a decision soon.

She has maltracking patella and chondromalacia .....she's had months and months of physio, we've seen osteopaths, she's McDonnell taped it........Nothing seems to have helped.

Orthopedic consultant has her on list for arthroscopic surgery, but lots of people say it's not a good idea at this age.

I know I must get a second professional opinion, but MN'ers opinions are always valuable too!

All DD wants is to get back to acrogymnastics.

mumonthenet Sun 14-Nov-10 10:25:19

anyone?

anyone at all?

AnnOnimous Sun 14-Nov-10 14:59:34

I personally would go with my consultant's view before ''loads of other people'', unless they were expert.

Second opinion is what's needed here, for your own reassurance.

Not sure of the technical names, but I have had dislocating patellas since I was about 8. At age 41 I had a knee reconsruction, which I think included a lateral release, it certainly re-aligned things, but it was not an easy operation and the recuperation time takes a while.

My other kneecap has dislocated a few times, must recently abroad on holiday. The consultant there actively encouraged me to get the left knee done too, but I am not at all convinced it is what is needed.

Sorry, that is maybe not much help as it may not be the same operation, but I would ask for the recuperation time and the difference it will truly make, before making up your mind.

mumonthenet Sun 14-Nov-10 16:58:02

Thanks AnOn for your input, is always good to get views of people who've been through it. Her op wouldn't be as major as yours as her patella only maltracks not dislocates.

I did search MN and there was an old thread by someone who's adolescent dd had been having knee pain and who'd been diagnosed the same. I might try and dig out that old thread.

I will of course quiz the consultant - you're quite right. By Loads Of Other People, I mean the research I've done on the internet which is pretty specific not just passers-by grin. Thanks again.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Nov-10 17:16:32

I had the same done when I was about 20 or 21 so a bit older. My patella used to get out of line and I had years of physio and taping. They said it was chondomalacia.

I had the arthroscopy and have been fine since. They didn't actually find anything wrong with my kneecap once they looked inside so I was worried nothing would change. I had a washout of my knee while I was tehre and whether it flushed a bit of spare cartilidge out that wasn't seen I don't know. But have been OK since. This was 15 years ago.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Nov-10 17:17:15

I was on crutches for 2 weeks afterwards and then started swimming and gentle running.

mumonthenet Sun 14-Nov-10 17:28:33

thanks viva,

do you do a lot of sports?

Trouble with dd is she wants to go back to competitive gymnastics which, unfortunately, needs decent knees. She would do ANYTHING to make it better. Poor mite.

MNTotoro Sun 14-Nov-10 17:36:04

Dont know if it is the same thing but I had an ITB release and arthroscopy on my new a few years ago. It hurt like hell for quite a while. Physio was very painful and took a long time. Still occasionally get pain now.

Your DD is obviously young and fit though - I really would listen to the consultant as they wouldnt recommend operating onone so young unless she needed it imo.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Nov-10 17:49:44

Until about 8 years ago I was rock climbing every weekend. Stopped that now.

I used to run quite a bit and did a 10k two years ago with no problems. I go skiing every year which is bad on the knees but I don't struggle with them.

mumonthenet Mon 15-Nov-10 08:47:39

Thanks guys.

MNT - I think ITB is a different muscle - not sure. Yep you're right they don't operate until they've tried everything else. Thing is, her knee is not so bad that it affects daily life, BUT it does affect her sports.

Viva - thanks - good you had a good outcome.

Must make an appointment with consultant today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: