Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

should I accept this from my GP or get another opinion?

(11 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 12-Nov-10 17:15:40

I went to see a GP on Tuesday, it's a big practice so I saw someone I'd never met before, very young GP, can't have been more than a year out of med school... anyway, the reason I went was when I was 32 weeks pg with dd I fell down the stairs really hard. I landed so hard I leaked fluid for a couple of weeks afterwards. DD was fine but no one checked out my back. Nearly a year on I still have a bruise on my cocxyx and pain when I sit down.

The GP I saw said there was nothing she could do as it can't be set in plaster if it's broken (unlikely after a year) and although there are ligaments etc in the area physio won't help.

Now that I'm back at work and therefore sitting down so much more it's actually quite uncomfortable. It's only when I'm sitting that I get pain, so should I just put up with it? Has anyone had a cocxyx injury that they've successfully had treated?

activate Fri 12-Nov-10 17:19:08

2nd opinion and chiropracter referal IMO

nightcat Fri 12-Nov-10 17:21:01

def one for the osteopath/chiropractor, as drs won't do any manipulation

littleshinyone Fri 12-Nov-10 17:24:18

2nd opinion, coccygodynia can be improved by course of prednisolone too

HeadFairy Fri 12-Nov-10 17:26:03

thanks for the replies... I'm normally accused of being a bit of a hyperchondriac, but I do feel to still have a bruise after a year and pain in such a large bone is probably indicative that something has happened. I just wasn't sure if it was something that could respond to treatment.

cupofcoffee Fri 12-Nov-10 17:26:23

chiropractor is not usually available on NHS though so if you were to see another GP it is not likely to be an option they offer you. You could seek one out privately though if that's an option available to you?

HeadFairy Fri 12-Nov-10 17:29:35

Just googled coccygodynia and found this...

"Various authors have described the typical patient with coccydynia as a female with a thin body who has either sustained direct trauma to the coccyx or injured the coccyx during childbirth." I did have a little chortle at the thin body reference as I probably had the opposite problem, I put on a lot of weight when I was pg and was pushing 18stone when I fell, hence I think that amount of weight caused some kind of long lasting injury

I had a consultant appt before dd was born as I was going for a vbac and I did mention it to them as I couldn't lie down properly at the time either and was worried about labour, she just shrugged it off hmm

cupofcoffee Fri 12-Nov-10 17:40:18

If you do decide to give the chiropractor route a go then you can check here to make sure you find a registered one.

HeadFairy Fri 12-Nov-10 18:06:14

cupofcoffee, I don't have private medical insurance so I'd have to find the money myself, and I'm not sure how long I'd be able to keep it up, not long enough to get results I'm sure. I went to a chiropractor for a bad back ages ago and ended up seeing him for a year - didn't fix my back either as I have a crushed disc.

Pancakeflipper Fri 12-Nov-10 18:08:51

Go to an osteopath. I love mine. But wear matching undies - I am sure they like it. Mine comments on my pretty knickers which makes my day ( it's a woman and we are not sleazy)

cupofcoffee Fri 12-Nov-10 19:02:29

Then I would go back to your GP practice and discuss it again. Say something like whilst you appreciate there is no easy fix, this symptom is significantly affecting your quality of life so you would like to discuss your options further.

I guess you could raise the possibilty of physio referral (I think that there are things the physio can try and it's got to be worth a go as you have been having trouble for so long). Ask your GP to at least discuss it with the physio and get back to you if GP is reluctant.

You could ask about availability of a pain clinic in your area. These are a good place to deal with long-term pain.

Orthopaedic specialist would be another possible person to seek referral to. They may not be able to do anything spectacular in your situation but they could at least check out what is going on and advise on the most appropriate course of action. They should also have access to physiotherapy services. I understand that they do sometimes consider surgical treatment (probably in extreme cases or when all else has failed).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: