Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mouth ulcer agony! Any advice!

(11 Posts)

Have one on side of my mouth, been to dentists and she said it's 7mm in diameter!
She's advised to rinse with warm salty water, well I just tried that and I have truly never had pain like that, totally awful. She did say this salty water would help it heal but I think I'll stick with the bonjela.

Any other advice?

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 10-Nov-10 20:00:46

The salt water thing does work, but it is a bit kill or cure. Mouth ulcers are horrible, I feel your pain!

MiasmARGGG Wed 10-Nov-10 20:01:42

I feel your pain I'm suffering at the moment too

Adult bonjella, anbusol, corsodyl, paracetamol, and alcohol are taking the edge off it.

I tried one of those snappy cotton but things but it didn't work for me (£5.99 too!!)

I've tried a snappy cotton bud thing, that bloody hurts doesn't it! You have to get the angle just right don't you.
My brother used to put surgical spirit on his!

bellylaugh Wed 10-Nov-10 20:21:24

I tired the new Igloo ulcer treatment when my DS had one a while ago. It creates a seal over the ulcer and seemed to heal it quickly.

I have also used it and although it feels a bit wierd in your mouth when it dries, mine was gone quickly.

MiasmARGGG Wed 10-Nov-10 20:23:12

I read on the internet that some ulcers can last for 3 weeks.

Depressing thought

KatyMac Wed 10-Nov-10 20:29:56

Hot salt water is the only thing that works

You need to do it quite often but it is really effective

I had an ulcer that went from one side of my mouth to the other - right across my lips

Ooh KatyMac that must have been awful! Do you find anything triggers them?

noddyholder Wed 10-Nov-10 20:41:38

my dp gets these Igloo is good as is salt water and if desperate he dips a cotton bud in tea tree and literally touches the ulcer with it just before bed usually works Miserable though.Get well soon.

KatyMac Wed 10-Nov-10 20:43:50

Hardly had any since I gave birth

However from puberty til then they were fairly constant

I had antibiotics & even steroids for them quite often

Ooh I've got tea tree oil....I might try that tonight.

Thank you everybody.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now