Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Excessive sweating getting me down. Feel so ... dirty. Anyone else? Got any tips?

(16 Posts)
feelmiserableaboutthis Tue 09-Nov-10 21:21:01

Ever since going through puberty, I've been conscious of sweating rather than glowing. There's nothing out of the ordinary about women sweating, and I don't think I sweat in my armpits any more than anyone else.

But I sweat a lot between my legs, more now than I think I ever have (I'm 32), and it can smell so awful. I regularly change my wet-through knickers at work, and yesterday, I showered in the morning, took a bath in the afternoon, and showered again in the evening, because after just a few hours, I was sweaty and smelly again (it's a sort of cut-grass-mixed-with-onions smell - sorry if TMI!). I can't help thinking this isn't normal ...

I'm a clean person, eat well enough, have no known food allergies, haven't been able to link my sweating to anything I eat, I wear cotton knickers and wash with Simple shower gel/aqueous cream, I'm a healthy weight and my last blood tests (this summer just gone) showed a normal hormone profile. I recently had a sexual health check-up and everything's fine down there. So what's going on?!

I enjoy sex, and am open to a new relationship, and it's never been raised as a problem by previous partners because I'm very conscious of it and will always shower beforehand ... but I'm feeling less and less sexy because I know how grim I can be down there.

Has anyone got any ideas at all on what could be causing this, and/or how to stem the excess sweating, or how to neutralise the odour, or if you can get all-cotton sweat pads for your knickers or something?! I just want to feel relatively clean and fresh for most of the day, and to experience the self-confidence and positive self-image that would come with that, instead of feeling disgusting.

Thanks.

Beachcomber Tue 09-Nov-10 21:25:27

Sorry don't have any tips but am interested any answers you get as I have a similar problem.

I have only had this since my pregnancies and find it very tiresome.

I sweat badly under my arms too as soon as I get too hot or a bit stressed. Very annoying for clothes.

Wish I had a miracle helpful tip for you - hopefully someone will come along with one soon!

feelmiserableaboutthis Tue 09-Nov-10 21:31:18

Thanks Beachcomber. Sorry you experience this too. It's a pain, isn't it? I feel so bloody yucky.

Come to think of it, mine's been worse since having DS (now six) too, and I have also been sweating at night on my chest since having DS, and that can be a bit, erm, ripe too.

Here's hoping someone in the know will come along with some useful info ...

feelmiserableaboutthis Thu 11-Nov-10 15:46:52

Anyone?

chinchi Thu 11-Nov-10 15:51:19

Ill be watching this thread for answers. I was prescribed Driclor for excessive sweating under my arms. It is a roll on that is used last thing at night. It has been really effective.

feelmiserableaboutthis Thu 11-Nov-10 16:27:34

Ooh, that's interesting, chinchi. Great for you that it's worked. Do you have an issue with excessive sweating in your groin too (I hate even just writing it!)? I wonder if Driclor could be used there too. Obviously not on the sensitive bits down there, but in the crease at the top of the leg - that's where it's an issue for me.

I showered this morning, went into work until 3pm, and couldn't wait to have a wash and change my knickers when I got home (I forgot to take spares into work today). I can't help thinking this shouldn't really be necessary.

Butterbur Thu 11-Nov-10 16:48:13

The Embarrassing Bodies programme had a patient with excessive sweating in the armpits. I think they used Botox as a short term soloution, and then went on to something more permanent - can't remember what it was.

Why don't you go to your GP?

TheChamomileLawn Thu 11-Nov-10 16:56:40

Would pantyliners help to absorb it, then you could just change the liner when you go to the loo?

feelmiserableaboutthis Thu 11-Nov-10 18:20:45

I've heard of the Botox option, Butterbur, and have made an enquiry at a clinic, but they haven't got back to me yet. I think it may be licensed over here only for helping to deal with excessively sweaty hands and underarms - not necessarily groins. But it's definitely worth a look. Not cheap though! shock

Pantyliners aren't much help, to be honest, because firstly, they have a non-breathable backing, which compounds the problem, and secondly, they're designed to catch, erm, secretions running along the middle of the gusset - not two wet sweat patches running along each edge of the gusset, IYSWIM. But thanks for your suggestion.

I may well book a doctor's appointment. What's difficult to know is if this is normal (or just about within the realms of normal) or not, because it's something that Just Isn't Talked About.

Thanks for further posts.

Butterbur Thu 11-Nov-10 18:38:41

It's bothering you. It's affecting your life. It's not normal.

TheChamomileLawn Thu 11-Nov-10 18:40:11

To be honest it sounds not normal (and I speak as someone who is quite sweaty)
I do get slightly sweaty knickers at the edges if I get hot, but my knickers don't get soaking wet, and it doesn't smell unpleasant, so I think you should make an appointment.

hugglymugly Thu 11-Nov-10 19:14:17

I googled and found this website: www.sweating.co.uk/treatments_groins.htm, which may be the clinic you've already contacted (assuming you're in the UK).

I also would recommend seeing your GP about it, though depending on your GP's experience he/she might not be very familiar with this condition in other areas of the body other than armpits and hands - though given mammalian biology it shouldn't be surprising that there are similarities between armpits and groins. Maybe your GP could also take some swabs to see if there's an atypical bacterial reason for the odour.

I don't want to make you even more concerned than you are already, but I wonder if it could be hormonal, given that you now have noticeable sweating elsewhere. <whispers>When I was going through the menopause</whispers> I noticed that the odour of sweat in my armpits did change - not quite the same odour as you describe, mine was more chemical and slightly masculine. It was depressing having to scrub and scrub my armpits and slather on tons of deodorant/antiperspirant, and then remember to keep my elbows tucked into my sides when with other people. I think if people haven't experienced issues like this, it can be difficult for them to understand how much misery it can cause.

Sidge Thu 11-Nov-10 20:27:00

I would see your GP. That level of sweating, especially in the groin, isn't really normal.

You may have hyperhidrosis - there is a support group with information here.

You can get products containing aluminium hydrochloride (eg Driclor) to use and they are available on prescription.

nightcat Fri 12-Nov-10 09:59:12

OP, when you go to dr, ask for liver and kidney function test. The sweaty areas are the outlets for lymphatic vessels and clear out metabolic products in addition to kidneys. It might be that your kidney function is low and they had to take on extra work?
You could also talk to the nutritionist as tbh blocking the exit of lymph might not be such a great idea in the long run - there could be something to do with diet/nutrition.

redfastlad Sat 15-Nov-14 07:10:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FabULouse Sat 15-Nov-14 09:25:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now