Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

haveing a coil fitted tommorow

(15 Posts)
pud1 Tue 09-Nov-10 21:05:01

just wondering what to expect. does it hurt and how long does it take?

Furball Tue 09-Nov-10 21:15:36

It's uncomfortable and doesn't take 5-10 mins - you'll be fine

Take a couple of Paracetamol an hour before you go.

thelittlebluepills Tue 09-Nov-10 21:21:57

you can get cramping afterwards like period/labour pains - but as furball says: take paracetemol before you go and have a hot water bottle ready just in case

Gracie123 Thu 11-Nov-10 12:40:01

I'm having one fitted tomorrow two and I'm totally freaking out.

I have no idea what to expect. People keep telling me 'it's like period cramps' but I'm having it fitted because I have severe gynae problems and a period for me can end up in hospital for a week on morphine!!

I'm going to take paracetamol before I go, but is there anything else I should know?

Also will be taking diazepam, just because I'm sooo nervous! I've never even had a smear test and both my kids were born by section blush

madonnawhore Thu 11-Nov-10 16:01:48

I won't lie, it fucking kills* But only for a little bit and after you just get dull period-ish cramps.

*disclaimer: I have never experienced childbirth so am therefore probably a big wuss.

Catspersonalbanker Thu 11-Nov-10 17:11:15

I'm expecting with no1 but have had smears to give you a perspective of how I've coped with them.

I've had two fitted in the past.
First one- only period like cramps, took a while to settle in but no more raging hormones.

Second one did hurt but I had first one removed and replace with no anaesthetic on the same day. Dr told me to take ibuprofen about an hour before as an anti inflammatory rather than paracetamol as a standard painkiller. I think it would have hurt a whole lot less if there was only one procedure rather than two back to back.

I'd say if you have had to be hospitalised for periods this will be nothing compared to it. Lots of deep slow breathing, and plenty of chocolate afterwards. I'd make sure DP looks after the children afterwards just incase you feel the need to put your feet up.

I had virtually no periods for 10 yrs- only a dirty smudge every now and then

MillyMollyMardy Thu 11-Nov-10 17:25:22

I've had 4 now. 2 fitted before I had children, 2 after the births of children. The ones after the dc were a doddle, painful whilst it was being fitted for a minute, they spend longer faffing about before hand than fitting it and mild cramping for a couple of days. Take ibuprofen an hour beforehand and do some deep breaths.
I love my coil, I haven't had any bleeding apart from occassional spotting so now hideous period pains.

DarciesmumandTTC2 Thu 11-Nov-10 17:28:34

I want to get mine removed as hoping to TTC in the new year. Does it hurt to have it removed?

shongololo Thu 11-Nov-10 17:30:51

i had mine fitted today. It was very uncomfortable for about 3060 seconds. Then done. No cramps yet.

shongololo Thu 11-Nov-10 17:31:33

tat should be 30 - 60 seconds. confused

NoahAndTheWhale Thu 11-Nov-10 17:34:07

I found it quite horrible being put in - they had a plastic thing that broke so got half way through and then had to start again. But as I said at the time it has made having a smear test feel like a walk in the park grin.

Went all faint when driving myself home and had to stop for a while.

Had cramps that evening and bleeding for about 24-48 hours but have had hardly any bleeding at all (ie no periods) for the last two years since it was put in

MillyMollyMardy Thu 11-Nov-10 17:34:30

Darciesmum my GP took the last one out with his fingers! Very fast and hardly felt it.That was between dc1 and 2.

DarciesmumandTTC2 Thu 11-Nov-10 17:58:00

MMM - I like that obvs helps if you've had kids before is there a good time during the month to have it out?

snowmash Thu 11-Nov-10 19:12:46

I got told to take 600mg ibuprofen an hour before mine (next week), and apparently it's easier to fit during your monthly?

Gracie123 Fri 12-Nov-10 11:18:00

Okey dokey - all done.

It was horrendous - but I have some psychological issues to deal with. Interestingly consultant has offered me a general anaesthesia when I want it removed/replaced, so he obviously didn't think it went well either!! It took nearly 40 minutes in total shock

Apparently I still had a lot of 'tissue' left that hadn't cleared after the birth of my daughter (had multiple infections, so I'm hardly surprised) and they had to scrape that out and gave me about 9 injections to 'help the pain' (not great for a needle phobic).

Apparently they didn't want to offer me a general this time because DD is still BFing and I wouldn't have been able to feed her for 24 hours.

I TOOK 50MG OF DIAZEPAM JUST TO WALK INTO YOUR OFFICE!! I'm pretty confident at expressing!!!

As bad as having it fitted was though, the cramps are nothing. I can barely feel them. If this is what periods feel like for some people I suddenly understand why everyone is so nonchalant about the whole thing!

Sorry for hijacking your thread pud blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now