Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena Coil

(5 Posts)
Silveryfox Tue 09-Nov-10 11:12:40

Hi - I had a coil fitted 2 weeks ago, but have just in the last couple of days realised that the "stringy" things that hang down are really long! Are they suppopsed to be long enough to be outside?? Help! Embarrassing!

craftynclothy Tue 09-Nov-10 11:17:47

My GP trimmed them when mine was fit. They can trim them at your check-up (6 weeks after fitting here).

Have they always been that long? Is it possible the coil has partially fallen out iykwim?

Silveryfox Tue 09-Nov-10 11:42:51

well I;ve checked if you know what I mean, could not feel anything "poking out"... but just wasn't sure they were supposed to be hanging outside my body so to speak! It was fitted just over a week ago, and I started my period last friday - it was VERY painful! The pain seemed to come in waves and when it did, it stopped me in my tracks [] Seems to have calmed down a bit now - still sore but not as painful as a few days ago. Thank Goodness!

craftynclothy Tue 09-Nov-10 12:38:10

Mine definitely don't hang outside. I know the GP trimmed them and she said that they would gradually soften and curl up around the cervix (or something like that anyway). She said I'd probably be aware of them for a few days. I could 'feel' they were inside me but that feeling went after about a week.

I'd ring wherever fit your coil and ask them for some advice. Even if they just give you an appointment to trim them.

jybay Tue 09-Nov-10 14:34:45

You need a check up to make sure the coil hasn't slipped out of the womb. With a bit of luck, the GP just needs to trim the threads but it is unusual for threads to be this long so it needs checking out. Don't have sex till you have had the check up as if the coil has slipped it won't be working. (I'm a GP).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now