Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Contraceptive implant side affects??

(7 Posts)
Hayleybreastfeedingcounsellor Fri 05-Nov-10 10:11:12

Hi has anyone had the contraceptive implant fitted?? i had it fitted 8 months ago and my body is still all over the place!! my moods are so bad im suprised my husband hasnt divorced me! has anyone experienced bad side affects? my GP keeps putting me off having it removed, saying "give it another month"!!! getting annoyed with it now!....

FlipFlop100 Fri 05-Nov-10 13:55:32

Are we talking about the one that goes in your arm or your mary jane?

tempertemper Fri 05-Nov-10 14:00:06

I fit them (GP). Bleeding side effects may take a few months to settle down but if you are having mood swings thats unlikely to change.

I think its reasonable for your GP to ask you to stick with it for up to 6 months but if you don't like it at this stage (and you are sure that it's the implant that is the cause of the moods!) then get it taken out. If your GP isn't helpful (though they really should be) then try your local family planning clinic instead. Although bear in mind that lots of contraceptives have some effect on mood or bleeds, is this the best one for you or is there a decent other option?

Hayleybreastfeedingcounsellor Sat 06-Nov-10 08:09:28

Yes in the arm. i usually have the pill but we wanted something that would last a few years. my GP is a new one as we've just moved... my old GP sent me to fp clinic after 6months to have it removed. they really didnt want to take it out so i agreed to give it another month. when i went back they wanted to put me on the pill and remove it when id been on the pill a few weeks, this was fine but was told the pill may reduce my milk slightly which i really wasn't happy with so they said to make another app and not have sex for 5days before app so it can be removed. i havent re booked as im still very confussed. i bled for 5 months constantly, then the past 2 1/2 months of nothing. the past 2weeks have been off and on. my moods are worse than anytime before. im horrible...shouting at people for know reason and then in tears the rest of the time! i feel sick off and on have no enery. my poor husband is great putting up with it all. i have only ever been on the pill and only suffered weight gain but everything else was fine.

tempertemper Sat 06-Nov-10 22:09:40

If you are breastfeeding then your are best to consider the implant, the coil (hormonal or non hormonal) or the progesterone only pill. You could go for the injection but to be honest, if you had moods on the implant (low daily hormone dose) you are likely to be worse with the injection (whacking great dose designed to last 12 weeks at a time). The main plus for the injection is the effect on bleeds - usually people end up having no periods, although it can take several injections for this to happen, and of course, some people are always unlucky and get dodgy bleeding instead.

What about the copper coil? No hormones, bleeding pattern is just what your body would do naturally (although a bit heavier and maybe a day longer), and it lasts up to 10 years but is reversible whenever you have it taken out if you want more kids. (Disclaimer: I have one and I love it).

Everything, with the exception of the combined pill, may change your periods and make them irregular, prolonged or absent. And all hormonal methods may affect your mood or skin or weight. The combined pill reduces your milk so is best left until you have stopped feeding.

Good luck with it.

CountessVonKnackerstein Sat 06-Nov-10 22:14:54

I had the Norplant implant for 18 months, I bled for 18 months, I was a cow for 18 months.
Went up 3 dress sizes, hated myself, and everything.

GP suggested going on pill as well as having the implant, but by that time I'd had enough.

So pleased it's out!

Hayleybreastfeedingcounsellor Sun 07-Nov-10 10:08:49

really dont no what to do! by the time its settled down we'll be ready for another baby!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: