Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any experience of babies born with hydronephrosis (dilated kidney)?

(6 Posts)
highwireact Fri 05-Nov-10 09:23:59

My baby, due in Dec, has hydronephrosis on one side. We have been told it is likely to need an operation in the first couple of months of life. Have also been told it is a routine op and that as one kidney is fine not to be worried, though we are of course.

Anyone had this with their babies and can you tell me how it all went please - the tests, the op, whether you had to stay in hospital longer when it was born etc.

Thank you

Hayleybreastfeedingcounsellor Fri 05-Nov-10 09:59:11

hi, my son has this we found out at our 21week scan. we had 11scans in all. it was both kidneys to begin with which we were told he'd have kidney falier at birth!!scary. but one corrected itself by 38weeks. i had a natural birth the hospital were really fussing, wanting to take him away when he was born but i refused! i had a good delivery, he needed help with breathing but nothing related to kidneys. he stayed with me for 4hour and i bf him. they then sent him for a scan which my husband was present. we were told we would have to stay in untill he passed urine. 12hours later he hadn't so i came to comprimise with consultant that i could take him home and if he hadn't within 24hours that i should takehim back. once we were home he wee'd all over the sofa and my husband! since then we have had so many app's but nothing much seems to have happened. we had an app at 6weeks for a tube filled with dye to be put inside and a scan done. but after i discussed this with another consultant i decided to wait as i felt at 6weeks old it would be horrible. also there was an 80% chance he would end up with a urinary tract infection. we are waiting for a second app. at the moment he has had 3infections in 9months and somedays he urinates lots(nappies changed every hour) or hardly at all. i've also had problems with his nappy leaking at night. i hope everything goes well for you. x

highwireact Sun 07-Nov-10 18:34:48

Thank you - had managed to put it to the back of my mind especially as doctors discharged us after scan at 30 weeks until post birth. Am on the home stretch now and it keeps popping back into my head. But really helpful to hear your experience so thank you.

Hayleybreastfeedingcounsellor Mon 08-Nov-10 09:50:26

we have been told he will be monitored until hes 8yr and have check ups ect. but we were told that even if the condition was alot worse that his other kidney would make up for it and he should lead a normal life. good luck with everything.x x

idobelieveinfairies Mon 08-Nov-10 13:17:45

Three of my boys hve had this.

It was first spotted with my 2nd son at the 20 week scan. I was scanned monthly after this so they could keep an eye on the measurements. He was born fine and continued to have scans in paeds and was on long tem Trimethoprim to prevent and uti's.

One of the kidneys fixed itself after a few momnths but the other was getting worse. In the end he had to have an op at Guy's to fix the problem, he was 22 mths old when he had it and is now 13!

Whilst all this was going on i was pregnant with 3rd son and he was found to have the same. His cleard by itslef by te time he was 1 years old. So it was just the anti-biotics and scanning that he had.

Because i had 2 sons with this it was decided the whole family would be scanned as it is hereditory. My oldest son was found to have had it as he has scarred kidneys due ti uti's that never showed and cleared by themselves. We will have to wait and see if he has problems later on his life.

I never had to stay in hospital any longer with my boys. They checked that they were passing urnine fine and we then stared with the scanning a week later. Everything else was completely normal.

Try not to worry, most cases just fix themselves without the need for surgery.

If you have any questions just ask away smile

highwireact Fri 12-Nov-10 11:16:33

Thanks I dobelieveinfairies - that's really helpful and I am pleased your boys are okay. Hope your oldest son also okay in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now