Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

3 years after c-section, is my scar infected?

(12 Posts)
cupofteaplease Fri 08-Oct-10 21:52:20

Well this is embarrassing...

I have an overhang of skin after two sections and being overweight blush. I've had some discomfort on my scar line and this evening it felt wet. When I lifted my skin to take a look I was knocked back by the putrid smell! The scar and skin around it is bright red with yellow patches- it's pretty vile.

I'm sure it's my fault for being overweight, however, this isn't normal, no? Any suggestions?

DinahRod Fri 08-Oct-10 21:53:26

maybe yeast infection?

BooBooGlass Fri 08-Oct-10 21:54:38

Definately soundslike an infection
fwiw, I didn;t even have a section, but was left with an overhang after both dc. Losing weight got rid of it completely, which was nothing short of a miracle in my eyes.
You need to get seen asap, and then start to work on losing the weight really, or it will continue to get reinfected

DirtyMartini Fri 08-Oct-10 21:56:53


I bet you just have a bit of dermatitis, maybe an area of slight infection on the skin's surface, hopefully not anything deeper or more involved with the scar?

Maybe until you can see a GP, just clean it gently, put something like Savlon on it and some sterile dressing gauze-type fabric, or something gentle and absorbent along those lines? You need air to it, I'm not sure if that's achievable without asking you to hold it up with one hand all night...

<waits for better qualified poster>

Don't be embarrassed though. I think it happens to lots of people.

cupofteaplease Fri 08-Oct-10 21:58:49

Shall I wait until Monday to see gp or is it worth going to out of hours doc tomorrow? I don't want to be ott.

I am taking charge of my weight, trying atkins diet at the moment to kick start weight loss.

Thanks for replies.

DirtyMartini Fri 08-Oct-10 22:13:05

I honestly don't know. I guess it depends how much discomfort and worry it's causing you.

See how you feel in the morning. Have you got a good first aid kit with stuff to clean/soothe/protect it?

Actually, maybe you should go to OOH doc. Otherwise you're letting an infection of some sort go on for at least 48 more hours. If you go tomorrow they may give you something (ABs?) straight away.

Also, if your GP is anything like mine you could struggle to get an appt on Monday.

nooonit Fri 08-Oct-10 22:13:29

Think (without being gross!) it's just got hot and sweaty (and often an area that misses getting dried well?)
Wash and dry well, sudocrem or savlon and talc. If still yukky on Mon I'd go to GP but if you're like me that will prob sort it!
(I have the same C-section overhang too! Don't think I have ever properly seen my scar!!!!)

AspieGirl Fri 08-Oct-10 22:56:14

I get this. I use sudocrem. (Also get a similar thing under my busoms in summer).

It should go away with sudocrem (which seems to fix almost anything).

Try and keep it clean and non sticky. If it seems to be getting sticky and burny feeling, use some athlete's foot powder on it, but usually I find it clears up overnight with the sudocrem.

Hope this helps

June2009 Sat 09-Oct-10 11:04:21

Can you wash it with clean water and see if it's just red (like a baby bum rash?).
I have had this and it just got sweaty so cleaned it with clean water, then dried it with the hairdryer and then put sudocrem on it (because it looked exactly like a rash), next day it was gone.
If it looks really aggressive after cleaning and like it is seeping from inside somehow it I'd get it checked by the doctor.

blushingm Sat 09-Oct-10 19:44:39

it's called intertrigo - a fungal skin infection

I've had it under my boobs (they are massive) and I've had it along my scar too as I also have a bit of an overhang.

Doctor has prescribed Daktacort (sp) and canesten hydrocortisone. If it's really nasty try putting some athletes foot stuff on in and try and make sure when you bathe/shower you clean it and dry it well. Also don't use anything highly frangranced as it will really hurt and could aggravate it

does this sound familiar?

cupofteaplease Sat 09-Oct-10 20:40:55

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Yes blushingm that looks exactly like what I have. Good to know it's common in overweight people... blush

Hayleyj1982 Sun 10-Jan-16 12:02:16

I have a weeping and sore c section
Scar after 3 years, and i have been told by a nurse to try sudocreme as it is antiseptic and a good healing cream.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: