Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Olbas Oil warning

(34 Posts)
magimix Tue 21-Sep-10 17:22:49

Just wanted to inform all you mums out there that Olbas Oil is highly toxic if accidently swallowed, there is no symbol on the packaging to warn consumers that this is highly toxic. I urge anyone with this product in their cupboard to put it out of reach of their children. What is mis-leading in my view is that the wording on the packaging makes it sound like it is a herbal remedy, it most definitely is not. Should have a big X on the box like other dangerous substances.

droves Tue 21-Sep-10 17:27:39

whats in it thats so toxic ?

BooBooGlass Tue 21-Sep-10 17:29:12

Smell it. It's quite clear it's not for drinking. If you're not keeping it on a high shelf that's your fault really.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 21-Sep-10 17:31:09

It's made of essential oils, which I wouldn't leave lying around for children. Think the packaging does say to keep out of reach of children?

droves Tue 21-Sep-10 17:32:13

thanks for warning btw.have moved mine to locked cupboard.

blissa Tue 21-Sep-10 19:45:48

Probably get flamed for this but my dd1 and my dn once swallowed the childrens one and they were fine. Is it just the adults one?

Purplebuns Tue 21-Sep-10 20:30:06

I got some in my eye 2 weeks ago and rang NHS direct who said it was fine on their tox report. I just had to look out for if I had burnt my retina. If it was that toxic you wouldn't be able to use it with kids at all! Who told you this?

notcitrus Tue 21-Sep-10 20:34:46

Herbal remedies can indeed be very nasty or toxic if not used correctly!
I think the OP was thinking of homeopathy or something where the sugar pills are, being sugar, totally harmless.

My Olbas oil says to keep out of reach of children in any case.

magimix Tue 21-Sep-10 23:07:19

Purplebuns, you make a really good point, if it is highly toxic then how can it be available for use on children. I presume it is safe to rub in, but in my opinion if the ingredients are classed as highly toxic by NHS Direct then the product should come with more serious warnings on the labelling.
Many toxic products have a large X symbol to warn you, this product does not, can't understand it.

nemofish Tue 21-Sep-10 23:25:12

You shouldn't apply essential oils diectly to the skin. I believe it will state that on the packaging / box if you still have that?

OP, Purplebuns stated that NHS direct said it wasn't listed as toxic.

The only essential oils you can apply directly to the skin is lavender and tea tree oil.

magimix Wed 22-Sep-10 08:41:46

nemofish,
On the Olbas Oil leaflet it states that you can rub this on your skin, as far as being toxic I am afraid NHS direct told me that it is highly toxic their words not mine, but obviously safe enough to rub on skin according to the manufacturers.

sarah293 Wed 22-Sep-10 08:43:28

Message withdrawn

scaryteacher Wed 22-Sep-10 09:06:30

There is surely a difference between toxicity of swallowing something and putting it on your skin. I won't die if I get engine oil on my hands, or petrol for instance, but I wouldn't swallow either.

Olbas is fine on skin, my nose hasn't dissolved yet.

magimix Wed 22-Sep-10 09:18:03

scaryteacher, of course there is a difference between toxicity of swallowing something & applying it to your skin. But Engine Oil & Petrol do come with a hazadous warning symbols, olbus oil does not, if a product you are buying off of the shelf contains highly toxic ingredients should it be labelled accordingly with hazadous warning symbols? This product leads you to beleive that is plant based and natural, mis-leading in my opinion.

MummyBerryJuice Wed 22-Sep-10 09:23:25

It is plant based and natural. All things natural aren't necessarily safe. Think; deadly nightshade or tomato plant leaves they are both toxic too as are many others.

scaryteacher Wed 22-Sep-10 11:19:55

If you choose to believe NHS Direct, then that's up to you OP; but most of us do have enough common sense not to drink it or to let our kids ingest it either. If it was so toxic, it would have been withdrawn by now anyway.

Good point MBJ - gin is natural and plant based, but very toxic.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-Sep-10 11:31:38

Lol at 'gin is natural and plant based'.

OP - stop worrying fgs. It is just common sense that you wouldn't drink something like that. Same as you wouldn't spread vicks vapor rub on your toast. Doesn't need a great big skull and crossbones on it to warn us all of the dangers.

It is also common sense to keep the bottle away from your kids.

It's fine on the skin anyway, I rub it into DD's chest if she has infections. She is still alive.

ibbydibby Wed 22-Sep-10 11:35:21

Umm...DS1 swallowed some when he was 3.

Phoned NHS Direct who advised us to keep an eye on him but no cause for concern at that stage. It did cause one or 2 dodgy nappies but nothing more. Kept going in to his bedroom to check his nappy and he even offered me a "sniff", pointing his backside firmly into the air.

Feel a bit embarrassed confessing to this - can't remember how he came to get hold of it (was 10 years ago) but we do normally have enough common sense not to let the children get hold of such things. Then again when same DS was 6, he swallowed a marble resulting in a few trips to A&E....

Dandydog Wed 22-Sep-10 18:44:29

Pretty sure Olbas Oil is a licensed medicine, so will carry all the usual warnings about keeping out of reach of children, always read the label etc.
No medicine can claim to be 100% safe, that's why they have the usual caveats, safety warnings etc, as well as usage instructions: for external use only etc.

SayItWithWine Wed 22-Sep-10 23:18:17

Hi. This is what Toxbase (national poisons information service tool) says about olbas oil:-
Toxicity

Highly toxic, both on account of the essential oil content and, to a lesser extent, the wintergreen (methyl salicylate).

Undiluted oils in the eye may cause intense irritation and corneal damage.

Ingestion may cause a burning sensation in the mouth and throat, hypersalivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Haematemesis may occur. Volatile oils may be aspirated into the lungs causing pulmonary complications.

Systemic features may be delayed up to 4 hours after ingestion and include ataxia, dizziness, headache, drowsiness, excitement, delirium, respiratory depression, convulsions and coma. Hypotension and tachycardia have been reported.

LOTS OF OTHER NASTY STUFF TOO! BUT patient must have drunk some, but does not specify the amount. '*Childrens* Olbas oil' has the same formulation and same toxicity!shock.

misdee Wed 22-Sep-10 23:20:34

baby oil if swallowed could cause serious damage as well.

SayItWithWine Wed 22-Sep-10 23:24:25

Misdee:- Toxbase says baby oil low toxicity and mild laxative! Not good in lungs tho!!. I would never have Olbas Oil in the house. It just goes to show that lots of stuff we have inthe home are dangerous.
Anyone want to ask about a med while I have Toxbase open???

stretchmummy Wed 22-Sep-10 23:26:40

First thing my DD ever put in her mouth was a tissue with Olbas oil on. I'd left it in her cot and when I got back she was gumming it. She was fine although I did ring NHS direct and they said to take her to casualty...I didn't.

Don't be tempted to put it in your bath though, it burns

Marchpane Wed 22-Sep-10 23:29:48

Big red x? Roffle

I bought a packet of Scotch Bonnet peppers. Highly toxic. Can cause burns if applied to skin or ingested in large enough quantities. Particularly potent if raw. No warning on the packet shock

I stored them and prepared them using common sense. And then I ate them. They were delicious!

saintlydamemrsturnip Wed 22-Sep-10 23:41:07

Surely it's like deep heat. I wouldn't eat that either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now