Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My friend was diagnosed with cervical cancer 5 weeks ago..she died Saturday night

(24 Posts)
PinkChick Mon 06-Sep-10 10:53:55

she had two children, a loving parnter, mum, dad and sister as well as many many friends.

Please make sure you ALL keep up to date with your cervical smears.

It may feel embarrasing but one minute of awkwardness is worth it to make sure you spend a long and happy life with your loved ones.

xxx

StealthPolarBear Mon 06-Sep-10 10:54:46

so sorry, that is very quick
Did you get a chance to say goodbye?

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 06-Sep-10 10:55:01

I am so sorry

SmacsGonePotty Mon 06-Sep-10 10:55:33

What a shock for you pinkchick and for her family.
Thank you for taking the time to remind us.

Sexonlegs Mon 06-Sep-10 10:55:42

That is truly shocking and sad.

I am so sorry

MmeLindt Mon 06-Sep-10 10:57:14

I am so sorry, PinkChick. What a horrible thing to happen.

My next smear is booked already, but it is always good to have a reminder.

Flighttattendant Mon 06-Sep-10 10:57:14

Oh how awful. I'm so sorry.

bumpybecky Mon 06-Sep-10 10:58:20

So sorry

mollymax Mon 06-Sep-10 10:59:31

I am so sorry to hear this, have just booked my smear!
Prayers for all her family.

throckenholt Mon 06-Sep-10 11:01:44

How terribly sad for everyone involved.

Had she had signs that she had ignored or was it just very sudden ?

belgo Mon 06-Sep-10 11:12:53

So sorry to hear this, how incredibly sad.

You're right about the smear tests.

kizzie Mon 06-Sep-10 11:21:19

Im so sorry to read this sad x

mmmperuna Mon 06-Sep-10 11:22:34

Oh how awful - and thank you for posting this as it may give someone a wake up call

PinkChick Mon 06-Sep-10 13:22:05

thanks everyone.
yes if it reminds anyone at all i will feel better, i had gone past the date for my own so am booked in for friday.

No sadly i never got chance to say goodbye.
I had sent her a message on FB last week asking if she was ok as some of her work mates had put get well wishes on her page, but i never heard back from her sad

I dont know all the details yet, i am trying to get in touch with her mum but obviously dont want to ask too many questions.
So not sure if she hadnt been for smears but iu guess to be that advanced it had been a while, saying that i think normally theyre are only one every 2-3 years arent they?, i have to go yearly myself due to having CIN 3 9 years ago.
2-3 years is a LONG time to wait, i think they should be yearly for everyone!

All i know is that when they discovered it, i am told it had spread to other places in her body. They must have began chemotherapy straight away and quite intensive i would think but 5 weeks later she lost her fight and left 2 children sad. She was just 33 sad

Hardly anyone knew about it or saw her as she didnt want people to see her hair falling out, so am guessing she was thinking she could fight this and win otherwise she may have said more goodbyes, must have been so hard to come to terms with. the family are in complete shock and probably only getting through the days n a haze of disbelief and tearssad.

We were the best of friends at school but grown apart as we got older however we'd got back in touch about a year ago and her partner has told me that shed said lately how pleased she was that id got back in touch with her sad.

A selfish thought i know, but it makes me sad that i am the only one with all these fun memories now and cant giggle about things we did together sad.x

mrspear Mon 06-Sep-10 13:29:49

PinkChick

firstly i am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend

Just idea to present later is you write out your funny memories (with any pictures) for her children to read. They can be put in their memory boxes for now.

throckenholt Mon 06-Sep-10 13:48:12

I think mrspear's idea is fantastic - it will be wonderful for those kids to have your memories of their mum later in life when they can appreciate them.

juicy12 Mon 06-Sep-10 17:53:00

Oh, that's so awful sad. I have a friend who has never had a smear test, despite having 2 children, cos her mum told her she didn't need to and that it was really painful angry

PinkChick Tue 07-Sep-10 09:42:49

lovely idea MrsSpear, ive started digging out some old photos for them, i was going to keep them but think her children and family will appreciate them more as these are times they didnt see.

Juicy12, thats terrible sad..a grown woman should make her own descisions, my mum said the same to me but it never prevented me from going!

Thankfully (no better word to use really) the funeral IS friday, so i am able to go, another old school friend and i are going together. I didnt know what to do about flowers etc as i dont want to keep asking them questions, so have set up a page for her with cancer research and donated to that in her name, then forwarded it to all my friends on facebook, hopefully people will add their own comments and dontate and will go some way to prevent this being a common occurance.

Thankyou for all you wishes and i hope it spurs some on into having their smear test done.x

CheeseandGherkins Tue 07-Sep-10 09:51:35

So, so sorry I'm a few years overdue with mine, currently pregnant so don't think I can have one yet.

PinkChick you can have photos copied from the print itself so if you wanted to have a copy too then you could arrange to do this before giving them away.

vbusymum1 Tue 07-Sep-10 11:01:34

Cheese - I was pregnant when my last smear was due and the doctor said you can choose whether to have one or wait until after the baby is born. I can't remember why but I decided to wait and had it just a few weeks after the birth so as not to go too far over the three years.

doggiesayswoof Tue 07-Sep-10 11:13:37

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend PinkChick.

Thanks for posting to remind us - I was overdue for a test by a few months. I've just phoned and booked it.

PinkChick Tue 07-Sep-10 11:42:29

hi girls, glad its reminded a few of you smile..ive managed to get mine a bit later on friday as i wouldnt have been back from the funeral in time.x

feelingafailure Tue 07-Sep-10 12:03:34

its too soon to focus at the moment but do remember the happy times and at least u got to see her for the last year.

PinkChick Wed 08-Sep-10 11:14:39

just wish we'd done more together 8-(..just sorted out a hand ful of photos for her family, will tey and get a little album for them for friday smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now