Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PMDD - this is a cry for help!

(21 Posts)
monthlydemoniccow Sun 08-Aug-10 16:42:01

I’m a name changer, looking for some advice, help and general support.

This is a bit long, hope you can manage to get to the end!

Will start with a bit of background. I’m early 30s, have one DC who is 7 and am a lone parent but with a boyfriend, who doesn’t live with us, but who I see a few times midweek and most of the weekend. I have suffered from PMT since I began my periods when I was 16, and have always been rather vile with it, but have never suffered pain wise. I always develop a nasty mood about a week beforehand, and then act like a moody teenager for the week; being miserable, not talking much, short fused, angry, anxious etc. As soon as I start my period the mood would completely disappear and I would be back to niceness. I was put on the pill by GP at 17 for the PMT, and was on it pretty much until I had DC.

Over the last few years though, my PMT has been getting progressively worse. I turn into an absolute demon overnight, I develop the most horrific moods, I am so angry for no reason, and this is a wild anger, I shout and snap, and cry constantly. I have no desire to cook for or do anything with DC, and end up cooking and eating shite (total shite – dippers, crisps, chocolate, nachos... as a ‘meal’, and I am normally a healthy eater.)

I have to point out though, that I am not vile towards DS. I can be quite and moody, but he has learnt to stay out the way, and he knows when I’m in ‘one of my moods’, which is sad for a 7 yr old to have to go through – no one wants to see Mum like that sad

The moods however, are getting longer, more frequent. They can start 2 weeks before I start period, and will be horrible for the whole time. DBF is fantastic and tries so hard to support me, but I am terrible to him. I push him and push him and say terrible things to him, beg him to leave me, tell him I hate him. But he stays by, and this somehow makes me worse. I want him to hate me and leave me, I feel he deserves better. I know he deserves better. Again, as soon as I start my period, the mood goes, almost immediately. This is PMDD, no longer plain old PMT.

I am just at the end of my tether. I have tried all the contraceptive pills under the sun, I have been offered CBT, the doctors all look at me like hmm and fob me off. I’m desperate. I’m seriously considering a hysterectomy just to get rid of all the problems.

Please, someone tell me there is light at the end. And thanks for reading, if you got to the end smile

loopylou6 Sun 08-Aug-10 20:33:01

Hmmm I think maybe you should try some anti depressants, not saying you are depressed as such, but they may help to control your moods over all?

What type of pill are you on? Is it the combined or mini? I woulld suggest trying the other variety (ie the mini if you've only been on the combined and vice versa)

Another thing I would say is, dont be too quick to create a roll for yourself, for eg, "Oh no, my time of the month, Im gonna end up being nasty and theres nothing I can do about it" sort of thing. Maybe try drinking camomile tea and long radox baths, just little things to try and chill you out.

Good luck. smile

indigobarbie Mon 09-Aug-10 08:09:09

Hi I really sympathise. I believe that if you up your dairy intake before your period that this can actually help. I normally get major chocolate and sugar cravings along with moodiness and I had joined a slimming class and the only way I could think to eat something 'sweet' that wouldn't be too bad was to eat some onken light vanilla yog. I ate about 4 large pots in a week, then my period came and I was like - oh, I haven't been as on edge or crabbit as normal. I put it down to the yogurt. DH also said he watched a tv programme about this and ladies who upped their cheese, dairy etc it really seemed to have a positive effect. HTH x

voleinahole Mon 09-Aug-10 09:29:05

Wondered whether you had tried the contraceptive Cerazette. It's one of the new mini pills and about 50% of women have no periods ay all on it (me included).

What has your GP suggested? Can they refer you to someone more experienced?

topsi Mon 09-Aug-10 09:29:19

Look at your diet, see a nutritionist. Take a good multi vit and omega oil. You could try evening primrose oil and st john's wort.

TarkaLiotta Mon 09-Aug-10 11:29:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrameyMcFrame Wed 11-Aug-10 21:03:00

Hi, I totally understand what you're going through.
I too have been fobbed off by the doctors and I don't want to take anti depressants as I'm not depressed for the rest of the time.
I also have severe joint pains with it, so bad I can hardly bend my knees to sit down or stand up. I thought I was getting arthritus until I realised that it went away as soon as I got my period each time.
I wish some proper research would be done ino this debilitating condition. It is not imaginary and can be really detrimental to relationships as well.
I will try the dairy and soya thing too.

ppeatfruit Thu 12-Aug-10 15:30:31

try camomile strong tea and or evening primrose oil. I know organic soya is brill for some and dairy for others (it bungs me up too much TBH).

hairytriangle Sat 14-Aug-10 16:43:28

Try evening primrose oil. I have the same issues from ovulation until my period an epo rally helps. I am generally vile to people at work and it's out of order as I am the boss! I've taken to locking my office door when I'm at my worst.

thinisin Wed 27-Oct-10 14:24:44

I had the most horrific pre-menstrual problems (PMDD) for 20 odd years when I heard about www.nomoremoodswings.co.uk. I had previously tried everything you can possibly try from anti-depressants, diets, exercise, supplements, hypnotism, acupuncture, massage, etc etc.

I had a couple of sessions with the lady at no more mood swings in Hove and could not believe that afer so many years of every symptom under the sun, I felt "normal" for the first time. She did some stuff with my subconscious mind apparently, although it just felt like we were having a chat, and then we did a bit of singing and tapping (it was quite funny as it happens), and it all seemed totally irrelevant to my periods and pre-menstrual symptoms, but I felt like a different person when I left there - like I was lighter. When my period arrived 3 weeks later, I couldn't quiet believe it coz I did not have one single symptom! I was so amazed, and unbelievably relieved to say the least. In fact, I thought I must be pregnant because I didn't have any of the anger, irritation, mood swings, pain, confusion etc. There have been times in my life where I wanted to end it all because of the monthly roller coaster of emotions I experienced, so no words can express how much my life has improved since I was passed on this ladys details.

I highly recommend paying her a visit. Carina is her name. 01273 328 952.

Kyedecmy Sat 25-May-13 06:14:07

Hey there . After 15 years suffering I have 3 months ago finally got some help ,!, firstly if not GET YOURSELF A FEMALE GP ,, no offence to any male docs but you l be banging your head against a wall. There's many a level to go through before you l be put on the right path, severe pmt and pmdd can be treated many ways but not one pair of slippers suits all :/) ....but believe me your are not going mad and you will feel awesome ... The list starts with the old primrose oil, black chosh, johns fart, relaxation,meditation , exercise , etc then when they don't work antidepressants are usually prescribed -- 15 years I v had them 8 different brand s for a depression I never had... Can be taken cyclic or fully monthly but they do help but only mask the issue not the actual problem . Fight your corner Nd get referred to Gyny .... If you b tried everything you l then be offered injections to block your ovaries producing and all hormones stopped to see what happens , AND OMFG it's heaven ... I'm 3 jab in and I could cry I'm so happy , there are side effects not to be taken lightly , but my pmdd had become soo bad I would of killed myself anyway .. I am however now in chemical menopause and will be starting HRT which Isn't ideal but like I say there was no alternative .... I'm going on the list for a full hysterectomy next Gyny appointment and for me it has literally saved my life .... It's not easy but once you hit 40 the pmdd that's always been there becomes worse as your already messed up hormones go perimenopausally crazier ... Go for it girl ,

weightofresponsibility Sat 25-May-13 06:57:11

Keep persisting until you find a sympathetic GP.

Mine suggested vitamin B6 exercise and keeping a diary. The next step was part-time anti depressants.

She did say when I first went that there was no guaranteed simple way to fix it, but to try everything step wise.

Have you thought about running?

OhBurger Sat 25-May-13 14:21:21

I have pmdd, I turn into a loon from the minute I ovulate till I start bleeding. My GP referred me to gyn, I saw a lovely Dr who put me on prostap and feedback hrt and agreed to do a hysterectomy with oopherectomy. Unfortunately I can't go for the surgery for another two years because of childcare issues (I'm also a single parent) I was on prostap and hrt for nearly 2 years and it was life changing for me, I stopped having it a few months back and the pmdd has came back with a vengeance sad I decided to stop due to only having oestrogen replacement, I'm sensitive to progesterone.

Try a different GP, and keep a diary of your symptoms and mood to show them.

Good luck x

Lelivre Mon 23-Mar-15 19:56:17

I know this is an old thread...

I started to seriously suffer pmdd over 10 years ago. After trying diet/exercise/supplements/Chinese herbs/accupuncture in cooperation with the Dr she put me on continuous use Yasmin. This was a silver bullet. I had quite some break for ttc/pregnancies/bf and have been back on continuous use BCP for about 1.5 yrs. I now have high
BP which threatened to take me off Yasmin before I had the break for babies - it is linked I have no doubt.

My GP is taking advice but I almost certainly will have to stop the BCP.

I can't go back there!

What is working for you? Please share

binspin Mon 23-Mar-15 20:00:44

I take antidepressants for my pmdd.
Only thing that works for me sadly.

Lelivre Mon 23-Mar-15 20:16:50

Thanks bin the night sweats I fear even more than the low mood/anxiety. It meant very disrupted sleep 2-3 out of 4 weeks. I would have to change clothes up to three times a night and sleep on towels. Now I have small children. I don't know how I would function.

I can't see how AD's will help that it must me somehow triggered by hormone swings. I am up for drastic measures like the ones mentioned up thread.

binspin Tue 24-Mar-15 08:10:11

I get the sweats too. Not nice.

Lelivre Wed 25-Mar-15 21:24:15

Binspin - I take it then, the AD's do not help with the sweats at all? How is your sleep?

binspin Thu 26-Mar-15 18:51:41

No they dont sadly.
My sleep is often disturbed.

Lelivre Fri 27-Mar-15 11:13:49

sad rubbish isn't it.

starrriver2016 Tue 07-Feb-17 15:21:51

Hello monthlydemoniccow

i know this is years after your first post but i am suffering with the same thing, i have a 7 month year old and me and my partner are no longer together because of PMDD, it's like doctors dont really know what i am talking about and they have fobbed me off with the mini pill, im hesitant to take it but like you i am just so desperate to get my life back to normal.

Did u find anything that has worked for you??

Thanks

Starr star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now