Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

posseting(sp?) when does it stop?

(13 Posts)
misdee Thu 24-Jul-03 21:30:54

my dd2 is now almost 11months a still sicks up a little of her milk most days. my dd1 wasnt very sicky at all, dd2 seems to love adorning my shoulder and knees with sick when she crawls over for cuddles.

any one help?

Mummysurfer Thu 24-Jul-03 21:44:39

Both dd ds did it and i was told it would stop at 12 minths - it didn't but it wasn't long after that it did. I felt like i stank of vomit all the time!

eidsvold Thu 24-Jul-03 21:51:26

dd is 1 yo next week and still get possets at times... although they have lessened.

steppemum Sun 27-Jul-03 15:01:54

I'm so glad I've found this thread, I was just going to start one to ask the same question. My ds is 7 months and he still possets all the time, only nowadays it is smelly vomit, because he's eating solids. I am so tired of cleaning vomit off everything. He has also just started crawling, so when we are out at anyone's house, I panic about him spitting up all over their nice carpets.

steppemum Sun 27-Jul-03 15:01:56

I'm so glad I've found this thread, I was just going to start one to ask the same question. My ds is 7 months and he still possets all the time, only nowadays it is smelly vomit, because he's eating solids. I am so tired of cleaning vomit off everything. He has also just started crawling, so when we are out at anyone's house, I panic about him spitting up all over their nice carpets.

hmb Sun 27-Jul-03 17:02:36

Over a year for mine to stop. And ds, now ages 3.5 can still vomit for Britain. But it does get better with time

Mog Mon 28-Jul-03 20:24:45

My ds does this too, didn't have it at all with dd. Anyone know what causes this?

kayleigh Mon 28-Jul-03 20:33:41

Both my ds1 and ds 2 both did this, And if you ask my mum apparently I did too. In my case my mum was told it could be caused by an immature stomach muscle and the sickness stops once the child has been sitting up properly for a while. Which is when i stopped (around 8 months) and also when my sons stopped (one at 8 months and one at 9 months).
Both my boys had gaviscon powder to thicken their milk which helped keep more of it down, but never completely stopped it. I don't think I have a single photo of either of my boys before they were 8 months old without a bib on

hmb Mon 28-Jul-03 20:34:13

Weakness of the valve at the top of the stomach. It doesn't close as well as it might, and up comes the semi digested contents......wonderful

Both mine had it, but ds was *much* worse than his sister. On a good night he could clear 6 foot! Didn't affect him in the slightest and he is now a strapping 3.5 year old.

Mog Mon 28-Jul-03 20:52:31

Do you think if it is a weakness in the stomach muscle we need to be extra careful with which foods the baby eats?

hmb Mon 28-Jul-03 21:03:28

I was never advised to take extra care. Infant gavescon helped a bit, and things did get a bit better when ds was on solids, but he still threw up and it smelled worse. Unless your babe is failing to thrive I'd try not to worry. as I posted earlier Dd is now a strapping 3.5 year old, who can eat for Britain

hmb Mon 28-Jul-03 21:04:01

And the weekness tends to go away as the child grows.

bobthebaby Tue 29-Jul-03 08:05:39

Oh no! Was expecting ds of 5 months to grow out of it before he spattered carrots everywhere. Guess I will have to invest in even more bibs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: