Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS - mebeverine - anyone take it???

(24 Posts)
sallystrawberry Tue 23-Aug-05 18:23:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallystrawberry Tue 23-Aug-05 18:57:11

bluesky Tue 23-Aug-05 19:46:23

not mebeverine, but have had IBS for a long time, have been much better the last two or so years. Am currently taking Lichtwer Pharma 'Valerian' at bedtime, and it is brilliant. No other valerian works, bizarrely. I read about it in She magazine years ago at being good for calming tummies, it really seems to help. Then I take Boots detox range 'Digestive Cleanser vitalising balancer'. Between the two of them they are keeping me calm inside. (That and no alcohol and no milk!)

Magscat Tue 23-Aug-05 19:53:38

I took mebeverine for a month and it did work. However my diagnosis was 'borderline IBS' and I didn't want to be taking tablets 3 x per day for the rest of my life so I went to a homeopath and over about 12 monthly sessions the symptoms completely disappeared. That was about 3 years ago and I'm still pretty much symptom free. I can say more about the homeopath if you are interested but won't drone on if you're not.

For background info (so you can see if my story might be relevant) I've always had a 'nervous stomach' - i.e. anxiety goes straigt to my bowels. Lots of foods upset my stomach (cheese, chocolate, red wine) but not always. What drove me to the docs is that I started having really scary 'attacks' where I would get a weird ache/pain high up in my abdomen area - felt like a back ache sometimes & I would get hot & sweaty & feel like my breathing was really affected (I think now this was through panic). GP diagnosed bowel spasms, poss caused by IBS, & prescribed Mebeverine.

Let me know if you want any more info.
I only took the Mebeverine for a month though.

JoolsToo Tue 23-Aug-05 19:56:05

I didn't find it that useful - hate to keep banging the same drum - but - when since having linseeds my digestion has never been better (I had IBS too, albeit mildly)

bettythebuilder Tue 23-Aug-05 21:01:31

Do you know if any foods are causing the IBS? I had tests done that showed I am lactose intolerant. One of the tablets my GP had put me on to help with symptons contained -you guessed it- lactose!

Magscat Tue 23-Aug-05 21:04:14

The first thing the homeopath told me to avoid was aspartame (artificial sweetner). Apparently it's a nerve poison & is banned in the U.S.

She also advised trying bread made from Spelt Wheat but I didn't follow that up & was ok.

Red wine (some types) is a definate trigger for me but the attacks occured after a combination of bad food/wine & stress/anxiety so weren't always obviously linked to food.

gingerbear Tue 23-Aug-05 21:05:28

The problem with mebeverine is that you have to remember to take it 20 minutes before you eat. I didn't find it particularly useful. I control mine by aloe vera tablets. Probiotics are good too.

motherinferior Tue 23-Aug-05 21:06:02

I avoid large quantities of soya and oats (I am absolutely fine with wheat) and fizzy beer. Too much fibre does me in too. I used to get real killer IBS but these days it's almost always in abeyance.

sallystrawberry Tue 23-Aug-05 23:38:59

ThePrisoner Wed 24-Aug-05 00:43:35

Had mebeverine for 3 months prior to lovely barium enema. Made absolutely no difference to anything at all. Have also "got" IBS (the word used to describe anything they can't diagnose - so told to me by doc in hospital!) for many years. GP says my "IBS" also caused by stress/eating too much chocolate/being female/being vegetarian/being too tall etc etc. Have got used to being labelled!

Had two emergency admissions to hospital in last 2 years (morphine is magic!!) Consultant very quietly recommended lactulose in small doses if necessary (not something he should do, laxatives apparently spawn of devil), and bicarbonate of soda (1 teaspoon in water) for milder symptoms. Both have helped a little.

Saw dietitian privately and eventually ended up on very strict exclusion diet. Very hard, but was very determined to sort it for once and for all. Identified many foods which had an appalling effect on me. Have introduced many of them back again very slowly, but have to be careful not to overdo it.

GP not at all helpful. Consultant and other docs in hospital had said "go for it! If it works, then we won't see you again." It has worked BRILLIANTLY!!!

alibubbles Wed 24-Aug-05 10:08:48

Message withdrawn

sweetmonkey Wed 24-Aug-05 10:14:16

i was given colofac for my ibs , i put up with it for 2 years before finally going to docs and having tests.
was given movicol and lactulose to start with but in the end i was given colofac and thankfully it seems to have done the trick, have to take it twice a day twenty mins before meals

its certainly a horrible thing to have though

Issymum Wed 24-Aug-05 10:24:54

I have mild IBS. For me it tends to be triggered by over-eating, eating whilst stressed and periods. I use Mebeverine sporadically, taking two tablets if I feel an attack coming on rather than on a daily basis.

I haven't cut out any foods, but cutting out business lunches/dinners has helped. I eat in advance and then toy with the food at the restaurant like a 'lady who lunches'!

sallystrawberry Wed 24-Aug-05 13:11:21

sallystrawberry Wed 24-Aug-05 22:25:56

Magscat Thu 25-Aug-05 08:48:18

Sallystrawberry - Just wanted to say hope the Mebeverine works for you soon and that yopu're feeling alot better today.
Alot of the pain that I had was to do with me being scared by the initial pain and tensing all my abdominal area & so the muscles got cramped on top of the basic bowel spasm/cramp IYSWIM.

I don't know if that's relevant to you but if it is, do you have anything you do to help you relax ? I found hot baths really helped - with Lavender oil or Neroli oil. At one point I remember having baths at 3am - the heat seemed to really help.

Let us know how you're doing

sallystrawberry Thu 25-Aug-05 18:23:18

Magscat Thu 25-Aug-05 19:54:07

Nightmare ! FIngers crossed it won't last too long. Sounds like you deserve a long rest and some time to look after yourself. Bet there's not much chance of that, eh?

mauramac Sat 11-Mar-17 13:14:44

Aquamarine70 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:51:40

I took it years ago & was very stressed & went through a time of having IBS. It was brilliant stuff.

mauramac Mon 13-Mar-17 10:48:19

I think for me this occurs when a stressful time is about to or is currently happening... almost like a panic .. fear of diorreah almost stops me from doing things at times. Can I be sure the tablets will stop this ?

Mikewolves81 Mon 24-Apr-17 16:44:11

They have helped me and I get no problem now as long as I take mebeverine before eating . I put my self on a low gluten diet to and eat more veg and meat . 2 weeks on and it's helping lots

MiniBrumMum Fri 15-Dec-17 21:49:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now