Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this chicken pox?

(7 Posts)
ajmum Sat 20-Aug-05 20:42:50

My DD had a high temperature from early Wednesday to early Friday (up and down) and she was drowsy and unwell when it was at its peak. She had no other symptoms. From Friday onwards she's been almost back to her normal self, but this morning she acquired two small red circles on her tummy. By nighttime these were raised and larger (no fluid yet though). I may be counting my chickens etc etc but if this is chicken pox so far it's been pretty easy to deal with. I've had friends who's children have been really, really ill with it.

She has to take an antibiotic daily to prevent an infection - could this have the bonus side effect of meaning that she'll have a very mild case of chicken pox?

Tipex Sat 20-Aug-05 20:57:54

doubt it chicken pox is viral (antibiotics work against bacteria). some kids do ony get a few lesions so fingers crossed your daughter is one of them!

ajmum Sat 20-Aug-05 21:26:41

Thanks Tipex - anyone else have any comments or are you all too busy on the hairy thread? LOL

gingernut Sat 20-Aug-05 21:28:48

Yep, CP is viral so antibiotics will have no effect.

She may have lots more spots appaer over the next few days, but then again she may not.

mummyoffour Sat 20-Aug-05 21:36:34

hi there ajmum does not sound like chicken pox to me, all my four had chicken pox at the same time as they caught it from the next door neighbours children and apart from being at a bit moody there were no other symptons apart from the spots that seemed to appear from nowhere overnight all over them.

gingernut Sun 21-Aug-05 00:29:28

CP affects children in different ways....some are really ill with it, others you would hardly know they are ill. My ds1 was ill for about a day before the spots appeared (after which he seemed perfectly well and he wasn't bothered by the spots at all). But boy was he ill in that time! Really miserable and a temp of 41C. The infection went around his whole group of friends. Some were ill for a week. Others carried on as normal.

Hulababy Sun 21-Aug-05 20:59:45

DD also got mild chickn pox/ We waited and waoted for her to get ill with it - but she never did. Other than the spots you'd have never known she had it. One thing though is that her spots came from nowehere - went off to nurseryt hat monring and Dh got a call from them at lunch to say she had several spots on her body. More by time he got there and next day many more. She was lucky though and got few on her face or anywhere like mouth, ears, bottom, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now