Talk

Advanced search

Help!!! Only a week to go.

(17 Posts)
MrsDoolittle Wed 17-Aug-05 09:47:49

I am beginning to stress now.
It's just over a week now until dh, dd (16 months) and I all pack off to NZ for a month.
I still have no idea what to pack (it will be spring in NZ), I'll be 16 weeks pregnant next week,
we are going to a wedding in the States on the way, I have only met dh's mother when we got married.
What will dd sleep in?
What about a car seat? We are going in a taxi to pick up the coach to go to the airport.
What do I need in hand luggage?
You get the idea.

Any hints for my mountain of questions will be gratefully received.

compo Wed 17-Aug-05 09:51:28

I think some airlines do travel cots don't they? Are you taking a trabel cot for when you are over there? I don't think you need a car seat to go in a taxi but if you are worried you could try and get the travel agent to sort one out for you. Hand luggage - bread sticks, favourite toy, anything to keep dd amused!

janinlondon Wed 17-Aug-05 09:55:35

Do you have a seat booked for DD? At 16 months she's too big for a sky cot. Most airlines have a weight restriction, but by about 12 months most babies are too tall for them anyway. Which airline?

Chuffed Wed 17-Aug-05 09:55:35

MrsD - can your dh's mum borrow a travel cot off somebody - that's what dh's mum did when we went to NZ on holiday the second time.
Hand luggage - nappies (2x as many as you think you will need)
- spare outfit for dd, and for you and dh
- snacks she likes, sippy cup, formula etc.
- toys, books, things to keep her occupied. They keep amused at the most mundane stuff like the little pop lids on drink bottles dd spent ages taking it off and putting it back on.
- if you have to sing, sing it's amazing what a quiet rendition of the wheels on the bus or old macdonald can do to a wriggly or irritable child.
- some taxi companies you can book a car seat in advance with see if you can find one that does this I think it costs an extra £5 but we think it is worth it.
Be calm - dd will pick up on it. You'll be fine!

gingerbear Wed 17-Aug-05 09:56:35

Packing - spring could be wet as well as warm - take lightweight fleeces / jackets. Where are you staying in NZ - with relatives or moving around? if rellies, could they organize a cot? otherwise you could take a travel cot (heavy though)
Wedding - what kind of wedding? - Church or informal (my friend got married in her parents garden in the Hamptons)- your outfit could be something like a smart summer dress?
Ring taxi firm and ask if they have a child seat.
Hand luggage - change of clothes for dd, a few favourite toys, snacks, toilet bag, nappies and wipes, books for you and DH. Have you booked a skycrib for DD or separate seat?

MrsDoolittle Wed 17-Aug-05 09:57:02

Thanks compo. I am trying to get dh to ask his friends (he's a Kiwi) to ask if they can lend us a travel cot, but it's hard work!!
Dd is too big for an air cot.

gingerbear Wed 17-Aug-05 09:58:45

You will be Mrs Do-a-lot for the next week then?

MrsDoolittle Wed 17-Aug-05 09:59:20

Thanks ladies!! You all replied at once.

I am writing all this down.

I know I MUST calm down. I think we'll be fine once we get going <fingers crossed>

MrsDoolittle Wed 17-Aug-05 10:00:38

This is all really helpful stuff, particularly the hand luggage idea -I wouldn't have thought of half of it

gingerbear Wed 17-Aug-05 10:01:14

I bet Mr Dolittle is not panicking is he? (My DH never does before we go away)

MrsDoolittle Wed 17-Aug-05 10:11:48

Dh doesn't do panicking.
However, I do believe he is a touch stressed.
We are returning to NZ after 6 years. Dh left to be with me and we have got married, have a dd and I'm pregnant since then. I have never met any of his family. His friends have all got married and have children now too.
His family circumstances are more than a little complicated too.
I know it will be okay in the end because evryone is soo looking forward to us going, they don't know I'm pregnant yet - Its a surprise. I guess we are both apprehensive.
That and I have never travelled with dd before.

Chuffed Wed 17-Aug-05 10:11:55

MrsD what about this for when you are there hire

MrsDoolittle Wed 17-Aug-05 10:28:14

Now that might come in very useful Chuffed!
I've sent the link to dh.

Thanks

gingerbear Wed 17-Aug-05 10:39:22

have a look here . There are lots of useful tips about long haul travel. As you are 16 weeks PG, make sure you can get to the toilet easily, and are able to move around (DVT and swollen ankles etc), keep hydrated - oh, and can you take asprin when PG? If so half an asprin is advised as it will thin blood and further reduce risk of clots.

kama Wed 17-Aug-05 10:44:25

Message withdrawn

gingerbear Wed 17-Aug-05 10:58:09

Thanks Kama, didn't want to get that wrong!

MrsDoolittle Wed 17-Aug-05 12:45:57

Thank you ladies!
I think I will just stick to the very sexy TED stockings!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: