Talk

Advanced search

Help - need motivation - emigrating and need to pack!

(11 Posts)
purpleturtle Tue 16-Aug-05 15:38:02

I've reached a brick wall. We need to take the stuff we need for the next 6 months or so out of the house by Friday. Basically, that's clothes, a few toys, and some essential books.

We're going to Australia, so I won't be needing any winter clothes there, but we're coming back for a month over Christmas, by which time, hopefully, all the house contents will be making their way to Oz.

A friend has taken dd and ds off my hands for the afternoon so I can pack, but I've lost the plot a bit. Can't do it.

help! help! where do I start?

stripey Tue 16-Aug-05 15:49:45

Depends which part of Australia as it is winter there ATM and it does get cold in some parts eg. Sydney/ Melbourne.

purpleturtle Tue 16-Aug-05 17:29:45

I'm going to Perth, and Suzywong keeps sending me weather reports! Doesn't get so cold there.

It will happen, I'm sure, but I think the denial is just wearing off...

desperatehousewife Tue 16-Aug-05 17:31:58

put music on loudly and do it room by room?

purpleturtle Tue 16-Aug-05 17:36:02

You've hit the nail on the head there, desperatehousewife!

I have made this job difficult for myself by having Pickfords come in to do the packing. What I need to do is make sure that anything we don't want shipped - either because we don't want it all, or we want to take it with us - is out of the way by Monday. Somehow, there isn't the same sense of achievement attached to sorting through the contents of a cupboard without actually packing it into a box. so it's rather heavygoing for me.

Loud music, though, maybe that would do it!

SueW Tue 16-Aug-05 18:14:34

Pack as if you are going away for two weeks, then put in some games/books.

We 'moved' to Australia with three cases for a family of three; came back with six 9 months later.

purpleturtle Tue 16-Aug-05 23:14:21

THank you SueW. I think I may well be applying your rationale to my suitcase in the morning!

SueW Tue 16-Aug-05 23:19:36

Pre-move declutter is the worst if you've got packers coming in IME. There just doesn't seem to be an incentive.

purpleturtle Tue 16-Aug-05 23:23:15

So I'm finding out. The hard way.

eidsvold Thu 18-Aug-05 05:03:55

SueW is right. When we emigrated last year - we came with three suitcases ( for 3 of us) - mostly clothes and a few toys for dd1. We then had three boxes of stuff sent ( earlier actually) but that was it.

purpleturtle Thu 18-Aug-05 08:30:56

2 things influenced our decision to bring a large proportion of our house contents:

1. We are hopeless at selling stuff. I find it very difficult to put a price on something, and ususally end up giving it away, or taking a pittance for it. Getting rid of it would have ended up a very expensive business for us!

2. We expect to be moving around every few years from now on, and we wanted to be able to make a new place feel like home quickly, which we thought might be helped by having our stuff with us. There is a strong possibility, however, that having done it once, we come up with a new strategy next time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: