Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for hotel in Venice please???

(18 Posts)
FrenchGirl Mon 15-Aug-05 18:04:38

We're off to Venice for about 5 days next March, just dh, dd (6 years old) and me, and I'm asking around for pretty but not too expensive hotels: any ideas?
Also your general advice on what to do, etc...
thanks xxx

FrenchGirl Mon 15-Aug-05 18:07:38

albert if you're around?

niceglasses Mon 15-Aug-05 18:09:42

Never been with kids (now have 3) but before them, stayed at La Calcina (where John Ruskin stayed) and it was beautiful. I know my friend took her then 2 yr old and they were fine. Right on the Canal - breakfast right on side of canal. Gorgeous, am jealous. Think if you Goggle it, you'll find details.

ks Mon 15-Aug-05 18:15:52

Message withdrawn

FrenchGirl Mon 15-Aug-05 18:27:54

will get googling.....
getting quite excited now!!!

FrenchGirl Mon 15-Aug-05 19:08:14

like the Karen Brown site a lot, why didn't I know about it???

FrenchGirl Tue 16-Aug-05 10:57:29

bump

FairyMum Tue 16-Aug-05 11:10:44

We went to Venice recently and had a lovely time! We just bought a plane ticket and then found a hotel when we got there, although I suppose that's a bit of a gamble. can't remember name of hotel, but I know all the hotels in venice are pretty pricey. What to do? Well, we just walked around, visited museums, wined and dined and the children loved going on the canal boat tours and we also found a really nice playground for running off some steam. Personally I LOVED the shopping and the ICE CREAM the best

Tinker Tue 16-Aug-05 11:10:45

What's you budget Frenchy? Cheap, middle or luxuryish?

Tinker Tue 16-Aug-05 11:12:00

I'd recommend the one we stayed in if I know you're doing 'middley but better than budget' but not if luxuryish

FrenchGirl Tue 16-Aug-05 13:57:36

Thanks girls! Tinker, we are cheap to middle I think...
Love your style Fairymum, might end up doing that!
Will be back later, going out now....

FrenchGirl Wed 17-Aug-05 10:58:31

Tinker, where are you?

tallulah Wed 17-Aug-05 11:29:06

We stayed in Lido de Jessollo, right on the beach. easy to hop on a bus and ferry across to Venice itself and much cheaper (but full of Germans!)

Tinker Wed 17-Aug-05 12:17:54

Frenchy - we stayed here La Gorizia hotel in Venice "We" were me, partner and then my 6 year old daughter. I thought it was nice but I don't have very high standards, am easily pleased re hotels.

FrenchGirl Wed 17-Aug-05 15:18:19

Looks good Tinker, I like the location. I guess I want somewhere central, clean, with a good bed for dd and a decent breakfast, does it fit the bill IYO?

Tinker Wed 17-Aug-05 16:57:35

I thought so. We had a family room so decent single bed for the little one. Breakfast was the usual Continental one - bread, croissants, yogurts etc. Can't remember if anything hot. Only downside was that the bedding made me sneeze. Suspect it wasn't synthetic. But very central and not phased by our very late arrival. Wherever you stay am - Venice is wonderful.

FrenchGirl Thu 18-Aug-05 21:08:13

thanks tinker, dh thinks I'm mad for starting to look for a hotel already!!!

Tinker Fri 19-Aug-05 09:45:52

Fazed not phased

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now