Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a few days away in England

(19 Posts)
batters Mon 15-Aug-05 14:56:22

Dd and I are free for the last week of August. We are thinking about a two or three day trip somewhere that we haven't been before. Not sure where though! Am currently considering York or Chester.

Dd is 7 and likes cities and museums and things like that. We live in London and will be using public transport both to get there and to get about when there.

Any ideas wise Mumsnetters? TIA!

handlemecarefully Mon 15-Aug-05 15:14:12

Winchester - has INTECH for ds(look up the website), is quite pretty, had some Knights of the round table stuff for ds, and dead easy travelling from London

Portsmouth - a bit further but I'd bet he'd love to a trip to see the Marie Rose etc.

batters Mon 15-Aug-05 17:30:41

Thank you hmc and bump!

Ulysees Mon 15-Aug-05 17:39:20

What about Edinburgh? It'd be easy to get to and has fantastic museums (lots free)etc.. the museum of childhood is fab.

bossykate Mon 15-Aug-05 17:40:10

why not paris/brussels/bruges on the eurostar?

Ulysees Mon 15-Aug-05 17:40:14

Ooops just realised you said England. Sorry

bossykate Mon 15-Aug-05 17:40:43

ok, i know you said england... but still...

bossykate Mon 15-Aug-05 17:41:09

ps - i still think bath would tick all your boxes!

batters Mon 15-Aug-05 17:57:42

Ulysees Edinburgh was my first choice. But we would be going at the same time as the festival was on, and hotel prices looked very inflated to me.

bk ! Keep the suggestions coming please......!

Blu Mon 15-Aug-05 18:10:28

I think York is an excellent idea - there is a roman museum with an underground boat trip, isn't there? Also the minster, Betty's TeaRooms, and the possiility of lots of other nearby places - harrogate? is the Yorks Sculpture park within local train distance, because that is truly fab. Also a coat trip by train might be a possibility from York

lapsedrunner Mon 15-Aug-05 19:52:02

Definitely Bath.

batters Mon 15-Aug-05 21:08:31

More nice ideas.

BK - I do want to take dd on the eurostar, but she says she wants to go when dp is available.

And a shameless one-more-bump for my own thread.

stripey Mon 15-Aug-05 21:59:27

We've just been away for the week and took a day trip to Bath and I really loved it. The boys enjoyed their trip on the open top bus (which has a stop at a HUGE park) but were too young to appreciate much more (age 4 & 2). If I had the chance I would definitely return it was a great place to visit IMO.

bossykate Mon 15-Aug-05 22:16:40

plymouth? falmouth? bristol? st ives? canterbury?

Blu Mon 15-Aug-05 22:22:50

I noticed that Fakenham has a Museum of Gas....

batters Tue 16-Aug-05 09:30:24

My dd has enough hot air of her own, thank you blu! And some might say that I......

Bath it is then, thank you all.

handlemecarefully Tue 16-Aug-05 09:40:03

Make it Winchester next time - you won't regret it

Have a nice time in Bath - it is a lovely place to visit.

Ulysees Tue 16-Aug-05 20:39:09

Hope you have a great time in Bath. Never been there myself as I'm in the NE. Glad to see you like Edinburgh though

Clarinet60 Wed 17-Aug-05 00:01:58

And the time after that, make it York. It has a magical atmosphere and my 6 yr old never tires of it. We had a great boat trip, really cheap, and there are loads of museums for all ages, walking around the walls, great parks, usually some street entertainment, Waterworld on the outskirts and lots of other days out within 15 - 30 mins.
more tomorrow - to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now