Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The air crash in Greece reminded me

(17 Posts)
dillydally Mon 15-Aug-05 13:29:45

that on my holiday to spain recently, DD and I (and gran) had to move seats..
The stewards said that in the air plane, on the two seats by the window, there is only one oxygen mask for both seats. therefore if you have an infant on your knee, that would mean one mask for three of you.

I thought you had to have a mask each. i was genuinely shocked by this.

dillydally Mon 15-Aug-05 13:53:24

No-one else flies on cheapy airlines then

Mum2girls Mon 15-Aug-05 13:56:33

I do and am shocked.

puddle Mon 15-Aug-05 13:58:11

Dilly I think she meant that in the two seat section there were only two masks whereas there's an extra mask in the three seat bit. I had this on a BA flight a couple of weeks ago.

Wallace Mon 15-Aug-05 14:00:24

Whne we got on a BA flight from heathrow to edinburgh we were told just before we boarded that we had to change seats because one of the three seats we were allocated was broken. I was travelling with ds and dd, who are both old enough to have seats by themselves, but dd easily looks young enough to be on my lap. Anyway, as we boarded I said to the stewardess on board that we had been moved, and she asked was it because of the oxygen masks.

So it isn't just the cheapy airlines!

dillydally Mon 15-Aug-05 14:04:05

Hi Puddle, I queried this and she said one - she may have been wrong though.

We moved into a middle row where we still only had two seats. I wish I could remember the type of plane it was.

Enid Mon 15-Aug-05 14:09:17

it reminded me never to get on a plane as long as I live

QueenOfQuotes Mon 15-Aug-05 14:11:51

Enid - why not - it's still one of the safest ways to travel

Enid Mon 15-Aug-05 14:12:34

yeah right <<Enid laughs hysterically, with the disbelieving stare of the truly phobic>>

jampots Mon 15-Aug-05 14:13:16

Enid - do you not fly?

Mosschops30 Mon 15-Aug-05 14:13:39

Message withdrawn

jampots Mon 15-Aug-05 14:13:48

if not! then halleluia ! not just me then

QueenOfQuotes Mon 15-Aug-05 14:20:22

ahh but it's true -

in the UK there are roughtly 3,500 people killed in road accidents each year, and 24,000 seriosly injured

in 2004 350 people died WORLDWIDE in commercial airplane crashes.

Mosschops30 Mon 15-Aug-05 14:24:16

Message withdrawn

Wallace Tue 16-Aug-05 19:38:46

ours was an airbus, don't know which type. It had three seats on either side of the aisle

hunkermunker Tue 16-Aug-05 19:41:23

I thought everyone had a mask too. Hadn't occurred to me to check re infants on knees though. The aviation expert on the radio the other day said that explosive decompression (ie where a window or a door blows out of a plane) can mean you're unconscious in three to five seconds. Which is why you fix your own mask before your child's - but doesn't explain why there aren't enough for all passengers if that is right?

Cooperoo Tue 16-Aug-05 19:58:30

We flew with BA on a three and three seated plane (IYKWIM) and had to sit with my lo on my lap. I wanted to have an aisle seat as I was on my own and so wanted to be able to access bags etc but was told I had to have a window seat as there were two masks there for the one seat ie one for the baby and one for me, plus two more for the other two seats. I assumed this was the same on all planes but apparently not. Interesting. We live in Cyprus so the accident feels quite close to home. .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now