Talk

Advanced search

Airport to Pollensa - Majorca

(30 Posts)
Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 12:08:59

Advice if anyone has it please!

We are booking a villa for next yr. We can book a return taxi with the villa company for £170 (for a 5-6 seater). We thought we'd do this as if any problems we can come back to the villa company, plus, we know it will be there waiting for us and we have one for the return.

But is this very expensive? Anyone know if we'd better off just getting a taxi when we get there??

potty1 Mon 15-Aug-05 12:12:53

GDG - we've just come back from Pollensa. It was lovely . They were charging about 60 euros for a taxi one way (this was the published price on the board at the rank). But I would think that was for just a standard taxi - is that big enough?

What a bout hiring a car? We had one for 10 days - drop off and pick up at the airport, full tank of fuel and it cost £190. Obviously it would be a bit more if you need a bigger vehicle. Ours was a Ford Fusion.

katierocket Mon 15-Aug-05 12:13:59

you could get a hire car for that amount and it's really easy trip from the airport to Pollensa, just one road all the way.

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 12:16:04

Oh thanks you two - wondered if anyone would reply to my obscure question!

My problem is that there are 5 of us and the boys will be 5, 3.5 and 21 months so we need a car to fit us all in and really with car seats too. Would we all fit in a Ford Fusion Potty? We've got a Mondeo and we all fit in that. Ds1 and ds2 could probably get away with a booster seat by then.

Where did you hire it from? Were they reliable?

Ooh, so glad I asked now!

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 12:16:48

We are only going for a week too - May half term

LIZS Mon 15-Aug-05 12:17:00

We booked one independently in advance to meet us at Palma airport, complete with car seat, and take us to Playa de Palma, about 10-15 minutes away. It was more local that Pollensa, so cheaper at 30 euros each way, but would be worth getting a quote to compare - majorca transfers or email info@majorca-airport-transfers.com. We arrived at a quiet time of day (lunchtime)in October but can imagine it would be chaos if the airport was busy.

katierocket Mon 15-Aug-05 12:18:58

you will be able to hire a people carrier with car seats. The cheapest is through holiday autos but it's a bit of a nightmare because there are always huge queues for the car hire people they use (because it's cheaper obviously). I would try someone like Hertz or Avis. Avis is more expensive. You can book online for both of these but might be better for you to ring so you can specify exactly what you want.
Having a car when you're there is pretty useful too, although I only say that because we stayed in teh countryside midway between pollensa old town and puerto pollensa.

katierocket Mon 15-Aug-05 12:19:35

oo yes, Liz is right, the airport can get very busy, especially on a sat.

LIZS Mon 15-Aug-05 12:19:51

As a side track potty1 where did you stay, would you recommend it ? We're looking at Majorca for October half term but are getting put off by the high rise and "family" resorts.

katierocket Mon 15-Aug-05 12:20:43

Pollensa is lovely, great for famillies.

potty1 Mon 15-Aug-05 12:23:03

We booked on the net at www.carjet.co.uk.

It was really straightforward, I finished the car paperwork at the airport and by the time dh had got the bags it was sorted. The drive was easy (got some directions from the net too) just a bit hairy getting on/off the motorway near the airport. The car was new, had aircon etc. We had our two younger ones in, 14 & 11, so no boosters and the like. I would perhaps upgrade one bigger next time as the bags were a bit of a cram (and with a buggy you'd probably need it) - or you could get an estate, think they had them available.

It was well worth it, we saw quite a bit of the island and didn't use all the fuel. HTH

potty1 Mon 15-Aug-05 12:27:04

Lizs - we stayed at www.duva-pollensa.com

It's on the outskirts of Puerto Pollensa so having the car was great. It was very clean, all independant travellers (no package companies at all) and I'd definitely book again. It got really good reviews on the Holidays Uncovered website and I wasn't diappointed. Not sure it's wholly suitable for very young children though facilities wise.

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 12:29:56

Thanks Potty - tbh, as we are only going for a week and we are in walking distance to the main part of Puerto Pollensa AND the children are small, we are going to be happy just lazing round the pool at the villa and strolling in to the town. We've been before so we know what's on offer etc. I think taxis would be cheaper (trying to keep cost down as it's not our only holiday next yr) if we can get one that's reliable.

Will try your link LIZS! Thanks!

LIZS Mon 15-Aug-05 12:31:44

Looks lovely potty1. I'm tempted but as you say may not be enough for our kids - 7 and 4.

katierocket Mon 15-Aug-05 12:35:34

that looks like a good place potty, why no good for young kids though? it's got a pool and a playground?

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 12:36:48

Not been abroad for ages, anyone know what 117 euros is in good old £??

katierocket Mon 15-Aug-05 12:38:41

£80
this is a good site for converting
here

at your hols, I love that area of pollensa, especially the old town.

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 12:41:33

So that site is quoting me £80 one way so £160 altogether for a minibus it says. Hmm, wonder if I should just go with the £170 villa company one?? Ooh, don't know what to doooooo!!

Chandra Mon 15-Aug-05 12:47:44

We hired a car for a week for half that money! I will ask DH about the company. If you decide to rent a car keep in mind that parking is always a bit of a problem, but being able to see other less touristic areas in the island like Lluc, Sa Calobra, Gracia, Banyalbufar, Deia, Sa Foradada, etc really make up for the hassle.

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 12:48:19

Chandra - would be great if you could!

katierocket Mon 15-Aug-05 12:48:39

we've never had any problems parking in Pollensa.

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Aug-05 12:58:12

Just had a look at a few and I think a taxi will be cheapest - hire cars can be OK price but when you add on 2 boosters and a child seat it goes up loads. And we really don't need one once at the villa.

LIZS - was that company reliable? Was it clear where they were picking you up from and were they there? What did you do about return journey - did you book them again in advance?

Chandra Mon 15-Aug-05 13:02:07

Gobbledigook, go to the www.easyjet.co.uk and there's a link there to a car rental service with the name of Centurion. We asked for a economy car as we are only three so a bigger one could be a bit more expensive.

Katierocket, not even in the tiny narrow streets? We used to park the car 4 blocks from our house because we couldn't find a nearest space, but that was in Palma more than seven years ago, though... during the summer was much better as everybody was away on holidays.

Chandra Mon 15-Aug-05 13:04:10

You can get boosters seats in Argos for around 9 pounds (though you can find them in carboots for a pound and you don't need to bring them back home). The car seat was a problem but I believe we rented ours from the car provider for £10-15 for the full week. HTH

LIZS Mon 15-Aug-05 13:05:52

We had no problems with them but have to say I was wary to begin with! The company have a desk in the arrivals hall where our driver was waiting, with the taxi parked right outside. They knew which flight we were coming on and it was on time so not sure how it might work if the incoming flight was delayed. They came to pick us up at our hotel at a prearranged time for the return journey and in fact were early.

We inadvertently left ds' booster cushion on the minibus and as it had already left by the time we realised and the driver couldn't get it back to us in time for our flight, we did a swap with one of theirs at the airport desk. Fortunately it was only a cheap one which we took along as our back up.

Would happily use them again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now