Talk

Advanced search

Questions on flying?

(12 Posts)
Charlee Sat 13-Aug-05 18:44:50

I am trying to find out a coule of things and since none of the airlines have e.mailed me back i thought i woul ask you lot becasue your all so clever!

I know your not allowed to take food and drink in and out of some countries but will i be able to take ds's bottles on the plane??

I dont know if thats a stupid question! sorry!

Also can someone explain an open ended ticket?

lucy5 Sat 13-Aug-05 18:54:37

I always used to take dd's bottles on planes, helped with lify off/landing.

Open ended, i'm guessing means, no set date for return journey, but i would check as i'm only gussing.

lucy5 Sat 13-Aug-05 18:54:57

or even lift off

Charlee Sat 13-Aug-05 18:56:18

ok anyone ever had an open ended ticket?

Thanks for the that Lucy, do they check your hand luggage or should i just tell them im taking his bottles on, i know they give you jars and food on the plane but didnt know about bottles. sorry i have never flown!

Chuffed Sat 13-Aug-05 19:14:28

I wouldn't rely on getting jars of food on the plane and take something yourself just in case. Take your bottles filled with water and add the formula from one of those little pre measured pots that way you don't have to worry about them going off.

purpleturtle Sat 13-Aug-05 19:19:52

I think the issue is not so much about taking food & drink on to the plane, as in to the country when you land.

Skribble Sat 13-Aug-05 22:13:40

At prestwick airport I was even offer a bag to take sandwiches I had just bought onto plane. Ryanair flight so nothing provided.
No problems with baby milk the airports were just a bit strict after the foot and mouth episode.

AlmostAnAngel Sun 14-Aug-05 06:13:22

where you going charlee?

Kelly1978 Sun 14-Aug-05 06:40:38

No problems in takign baby milk anywhere. I thinkt he recomendation is to check availibility of where you are flying to, if not, then take your own. Spain doesn't have sma, so I'm going to have to pack it for the dts.

purpleturtle is right about takign food into countries that is the problem. You can take food on a flight to America, but just about everything has to be ditched or eaten before you enter the country.

Charlee Sun 14-Aug-05 15:11:55

Were moving to NZ in November!1 im scared and excited all at once just thinking about these little things now!

eidsvold Sun 14-Aug-05 23:43:29

open ended ticket means you can take any date to fly - you have the flexibility to fly and change dates without penalty. I had a round the world ticket that was open ended as such - but I had to use the flights within a year. So went as far as London - worked for a year and used the return part to visit family in Aus a year later.

Yes - no worries with bottles. WHen we flew to Aus I used the tetra premixed packets of formula and just jettisoned as we went. Used steribottles as well so by the time we got to Aus my hand luggage was slightly less heavy. Coming back as no steribottles left and only formula to mix up ( no tetra packs in AUs) I took bottles and formula. Although the airline also suppled jars - I took some of my own and had no problems with them.

There are certain types of foods that pose a greater risk - freah fruit, dried meats, seeds etc. Again if you are worried about NZ - just check their customs and quarantine website. Rather than asking the airlines. If it is the same as Aus you are allowed to bring in enough formula to last a month.

Chuffed Mon 15-Aug-05 09:24:45

We were really paranoid about bringing open formula into NZ and called customs etc and they said no only closed sealed packets. Well we had closed sealed packets in our suitcase and the powder premeasured from the plane in our carry bags - what was left over from our trip.
(Recommend Singapore Airlines to go from London to Auckland by the way!)
When we got to NZ we went through the declared area and said we had food products better safe then sorry they checked and said open/closed we were fine it was obvious they were for the little one.
NZ are more paranoid about fresh food, things not in packets. ie. if you take raisins etc take small packets if you can you can still declare it but they don't seem to be as strict on packets especially those still closed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now