Talk

Advanced search

Could this be the holiday from hell for me and my family?

(39 Posts)
spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 14:16:41

I have four kids under 7. So too does my friend. We both have babies, and we're both particularly hard up at the moment. She recently moved to France and invited us over. It sounded like a good idea at the time and I managed to find a Ferry crossing for £150 return. So it's all booked. Hooray! My kids have never been abroad so it'll be really exciting for them.

So why do I feel a sense of impending dread?

The logistics scare me to start with. One kitchen, two eccentric women, eight small children (including an autistic 5 year old boy and two small babies), two slightly depressed men.

Thank God the wine will be cheap.

Any other tips on retaining my sanity? Or should I cancel now?

expatinscotland Fri 12-Aug-05 14:18:12

The big question: how many bathrooms.

mancmum Fri 12-Aug-05 14:18:39

go for it --- how bad can it get when you are with friends in same boat and with loads of wine?

beetroot Fri 12-Aug-05 14:18:45

Message withdrawn

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 14:18:59

Good question. I'll ask but I'm guessing it'll be one. (gulp!)

moondog Fri 12-Aug-05 14:19:56

Nah,go for it. If all else fails you can write a 'I'm mad,me' style article about it and flog it to a magazine. Will your dh be with you. Bloody hell,you're brave. I'm pissed off because my dh has top go to Ankara for three days next week. I have to either go with him and be cooped up bored senseless in a hotel with my two or stay here in Van,cooped up in a flat with them,knowing he won't be home at the end of the day.

Is there a pool? That's what would really worry me.

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 14:25:00

No pool but very close to the beach.

I wonder if I ought to discuss possible flashpoints with my friend beforehand, or just deal with them if and when they arise.

marthamoo Fri 12-Aug-05 14:26:20

Beach and wine. It'll be fine.

moondog Fri 12-Aug-05 14:26:48

Still need clarification on bloke situation....

moondog Fri 12-Aug-05 14:27:32

Kids and mate
Could end up with hate

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 14:27:46

I'd go for the hotel if I were you moondog. A change is as good as a rest etc. It'll probably have a swimming pool won't it? Plus no cooking and cleaning for you for two days.

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 14:30:18

The blokes are fed up because they're currently failing to provide properly for their families. My dh is an actor and has had several near misses and lots of time off this year. Her bloke has given up a job he hates and is considering his future.

moondog Fri 12-Aug-05 14:30:38

Yeah,will do I suppose. Sounds so ungrateful,but I'm bored with hotels. Yes,there will be a pool though and we all love swimming. And i don't cook or clean when I'm here! (Although do plenty of both in UK.)

Just pissed me off when dh said 'It'll be an adventure!' Snarled back 'You look after a baby and a 4 year old for a 12 hour stretch in a strange place alone and tell me howmuch fun it is.'

I'm a miserable old boot.

moondog Fri 12-Aug-05 14:31:22

But will the blokesbe coming too?

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 14:39:05

Yes. All one big happy family. (gulp)

beetroot Fri 12-Aug-05 14:40:27

Message withdrawn

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 14:47:14

Brighton beet.

beetroot Fri 12-Aug-05 14:52:54

Message withdrawn

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 14:54:15

I don't know. Do you live in Brighton then?

beetroot Fri 12-Aug-05 14:56:32

Message withdrawn

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 15:00:59

I'm 39. We used to live all over South London and most recently in Brixton. Dh is an actor and has done loads of theatre and a fair bit of telly. I don't think I know a theatre director with four kids.

Are you still theatre directing, even with four kids? Good on you. I was a journo but am sahm at the moment.

expatinscotland Fri 12-Aug-05 15:03:02

I would like to give up my job so I could contemplate the future . . .

But I'd settle for drinking wine in France near a beach . . .

beetroot Fri 12-Aug-05 15:07:47

Message withdrawn

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 15:18:24

Wow! Good job Beetroot. I'm trying to think what you may have seen my dh in. He was in Lear a couple of years ago with Timothy West. He was also in a very long running West End show (not the Mousetrap) for a year recently. Otherwise it's been mainly telly.

beetroot Fri 12-Aug-05 15:37:00

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now