Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sardinia - anyone been?

(15 Posts)
Blu Wed 10-Aug-05 22:02:47

Yet again making a fairly last minute decision about our hol - (2nd half of sept) looking for s/c accommodation. We like sun, beaches, sea, countryside, quality but 'basic' food, a few sites (preferably castles, for DS) and some nice walks. We don't like big holiday complexes, throbbing nightlife, 'smart' resorts.

Any thoughts on Sardinia, and if so which part of the island?

bonym Wed 10-Aug-05 22:06:02

Blu - we went to the south (Pula) last month. Not touristy at all, beautiful beaches, nice food, but not a great deal to see/do. Great if you want a relaxing holiday, not doing very much. We rented a villa and spent most days in and by the pool with a couple of trips to the beach.

bonym Wed 10-Aug-05 22:08:00

If you're interested btw, the villa we stayed in was fab - HUGE grounds (great for kids to explore), lovely pool, very quiet location.

Blu Wed 10-Aug-05 22:08:57

Aha, BonyM, you're just the person I need! The two villas I have found on the 'net (seem quite reasonable) are v near Pula. I like the sound of it, not being touristy - would renting a car for a few days get us nearer any 'sites', do you think?

Blu Wed 10-Aug-05 22:10:21

yes, please - can you link me to the villa you stayed in? I thinki have found 2 in a 'pinus village'.

bonym Wed 10-Aug-05 22:14:05

Here you go - Casa Querce . If it's not suitable, the company have lots of others and the rep was extremely helpful (even went out and bought us a booster seat for dd1 as the car hire company didn't provide one).

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

bonym Wed 10-Aug-05 22:15:32

Oh - for where we were staying, car hire was pretty essential. There are sights, but tbh one of the reasons we didn't go very far was that it wasn't so easy as dd2 was only 16 weeks.

Blu Wed 10-Aug-05 22:23:29

Thank you Bonym! Will study that site!
I can see why you stayed put, driving around with a tiny one is no fun in the heat.
I'll pop up again if I have any more q's - oh - how did the roads seem? Precipitous and narrow and infested with mad drivers? or fairly navigable?

bonym Thu 11-Aug-05 08:32:29

Blu - roads are really good actually-well surfaced in the main, not too narrow or twisty, well signposted and we didn't come across any mad drivers .

With regard to "sights" - Nora is very close to Pula and is apparentl the first Sardinian town. I believe there are ruins there and also an aquarium.

Blu Thu 11-Aug-05 10:19:30

Thanks, Bonym.

Bump for the day shift!

pinkmamma Thu 11-Aug-05 11:00:31

Hi Blu, we went in June with Mark WArner to .... oh can't remember the name of it - south of Cagliari.. the beaches there are stunning, it is right next to the Forte Village resort. Def hire a car and get out and about - we just drove and stopped where we fancied. Food there is fab but try and stay away from the "tourist menus" as ever.

swedishmum Thu 11-Aug-05 12:19:16

Went without kids but had a fantastic weekend. Staying away from resorts for food meant we found equally nice seaside villages but paid far less. Good local wine. We stayed near Porto Cervo on Costa Smerelda - stunning sea colour.

Blu Thu 11-Aug-05 12:50:35

Is it the kind of place where you could get a flight, hire a car and then risk finding an apartment to rent when you arrived, in september?

pinkmamma Thu 11-Aug-05 15:51:22

If you are going without kids you could do that but with kids I would def book something in advance. I'm sure you know you can fly there with Ryanair - if you go to the website it also has offers on accomodation for most of their destinations.

Blu Thu 11-Aug-05 22:04:53

Thank you Pinkmamma - and everyone else.
I do like the look of the pics I have seen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now