Talk

Advanced search

Moving 3 cats to NZ....

(2 Posts)
georginars Mon 08-Aug-05 17:15:40

Long shot this - now that I have sorted my NZ citizenship out and my parents have comfirmed they're going back to NZ for good, DH and I are seriously considering moving to NZ (scary). One of the main flies in the ointment is we couldn't bear to leave our 3 cats behind.
Have searched MN and found a little bit about moving animals but just wanted to ask if anybody has done anything similar re moving animals to a different country. I know it will probably cost loads but apart from anything else, how on earth do cats cope with such a long journey? Am I just being cruel to them?
Any relevant advice/experience gratefully received!

eidsvold Wed 10-Aug-05 05:53:37

Not sure if NZ is like Aus - if it is - they will also need to spend a length of time in quarantine. I had thought about shipping an animal to the UK from Aus ( had we stayed permanently) but the quarantine if we ever went back was too long and I thought it would be too cruel to keep her caged for the flight time and the stress that would be involved. I can understand not wanting to leave pets behind but you have to weigh up the cost - but more importantly the stress on the animals of travelling for so long and so far and the transit stops - for them to arrive in NZ as well as the quarantine time.

You could check on the NZ customs and quarantine site for info re the length of time etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now