Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend your favourite British holiday resort here

(53 Posts)
SecondhandRose Mon 08-Aug-05 14:52:29

I'll kick off with Southwold on the Suffolk coast, it's a lovely town with a long sandy beach and a pier. The stretch of water by the pier has a blue flag. The pier is a new one & is free to go on. The High Street is quite upmarket with gift and ladieswear shops. If you head out to the quay you can crab, we caught plenty.

The downside of Southwold is the price of holiday accommodation, nearly 1000 for a week in school holidays. It's worth staying up to 20 minutes away and driving in each day. We stayed north of Lowestoft so it took us quite a while to get there each day especially as you can only cross the water in two places in Lowestoft ane the traffice was terrible.

nailpolish Mon 08-Aug-05 14:58:23

St Andrews

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, huge beach which is usually deserted. lots of tiny little streets with fabulous little shops and tearooms, accessible ruins that are great for kids running about in, picnics and interesting history facts

around and about are working farms you can visit, deer centres, and of course the golf course that has lots of things attached to it (ie not just a snooty golf course)

lots of little b&b's or lovely hotels, even a caravan park

near a main railway station also

(its too late to catch a glimpse of prince william though!)

Janh Mon 08-Aug-05 15:03:47

TenbyTenbyTenby

Janh Mon 08-Aug-05 15:04:06

Also pretty much the whole of the Gower Peninsula.

bossykate Mon 08-Aug-05 15:04:37

charmouth
padstow

bossykate Mon 08-Aug-05 15:04:57

st ives

Charlee Mon 08-Aug-05 15:04:58

Looe Bay in Cornwall's really nice

Marina Mon 08-Aug-05 15:05:24

Woolacombe
Broadstairs
North Berwick
Cromer

gingerbear Mon 08-Aug-05 15:08:34

I have 3 - Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Bridlington. Whitby for the lovely winding streets and little shops, pretty harbour and fab fish and chips, and windswept Abbey on the cliff top.

Robin Hoods Bay - is quiet and pretty and a great place for exploring Rock Pools Robin Hood Bay

Bridlington has just the right amount of tackiness, a choice of beaches, stuff for kids in wet weather. Just north of Bridlington is Bempton 400ft high cliffs -amazing for bird spotting - I have seen seals, porpoises and puffins there. There is usually an RSPB bod around to help, and a visitors centre. Bempton

gingerbear Mon 08-Aug-05 15:09:57

Agree with Janh on Gower, especially Rhosseli (sp?) Bay

sandyballs Mon 08-Aug-05 15:11:07

Secondhandrose - the parents of a friend of mine run a B&B and self catering cottages near Southwold (about 3 miles out of it) and it's beautiful - have a look. Don't think it is as expensive as 1000 a week!

http://www.southwold.blythweb.co.uk/poplar-hall/index.php

Can't do links but you should be able to get to it!

SecondhandRose Mon 08-Aug-05 15:21:12

Thanks Sandyballs (another great place to stay!) have had a look at the website but they take dogs and we are very allergic. That site was good though so I'll have another look for other accommodation.

We have booked a week in Northumberland in Craster next August so all tips for the area gratefully received (we are mostly going for Alnwick castle).

nailpolish Mon 08-Aug-05 15:28:47

oh i LOVE nothumberland, the Grace Darling story is very interesting, the Holy Isle etc (is that near where you will be?)

SecondhandRose Mon 08-Aug-05 15:32:32

Well Craster is on the coast but not as far up as the islands but all recommendations very welcome please as we've never been there before.

Marina Mon 08-Aug-05 15:33:43

Can only recommend their kippers, which are completely delicious...

ssd Mon 08-Aug-05 15:33:56

I love Robin Hoods bay, Runswick bay, Staithes and Sandsend , all near Whitby. Gorgeous part of the country, would recommend to anyone wanting a beach holiday with rock pools/fossils/lovely chipies!!/an old fashioned atmosphere.

gingerbear Mon 08-Aug-05 15:40:05

This is like our own MN version of the BBC2 series 'Coast'. I always wanted to go to Lulworth Cove and Portland when I did Geography at school. What are they like anyone?

hoxtonchick Mon 08-Aug-05 16:09:57

we were on rhossilli beach last weekend & are heading to woolacombe next week! both great. i too have a soft spot for the north yorkshire beaches mentioned where i spent my childhood - hunmanby gap is an amazing beach though there isn't much else there.

CountessDracula Mon 08-Aug-05 16:12:29

gingerbear we went to Lulworth cove recently it is nice but the beach is v stony and the actual village very grockely. We went to Studland which was gorg.

My favorite place is the Mudeford sandspit. Used to stay in the beach huts as a teenager (and later) and have many fond memories of it.

Marina Mon 08-Aug-05 16:12:54

Hoxtonchick, so are WE! CAT me now. And I think Rickman was planning on being just up the road!
Mumsnet meet-up alert...

Blu Mon 08-Aug-05 16:13:11

STOPPIT!
You're giving me serious wanderlust!

Holkham, N Norfolk for wide open beaches
Wells-next-the-sea, N norfolk for small traditional resort charm and access to Holkham and Wells beach.

Lots from the lists below.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 08-Aug-05 16:24:39

I've just got back from the isle of man and it was great - I had forgotten how nice it is. Really friendly, loads to do and very pretty.

also love Holkham, and the whole of the norfolk coast really. We're going to winterton on the east coast next year.

hoxtonchick Mon 08-Aug-05 16:25:20

marina, how exciting! you can meet my inlaws too . am catting now.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 08-Aug-05 16:25:33

sorry, I mean the whole norfolk coast except cromer

robinia Mon 08-Aug-05 16:29:23

Childhood memories of Winterton - fantastic beach.
Didn't think much of Woolacombe though - just too busy / touristy for us.
Liked Holkham whih we did last year.
Also the Bedruthan Steps area in Cornwall.
Going down to Devon (somewhere near Torbay) this year.
Need to persuade dh re. Gower peninsula - he has this idea that Wales is boring but I really want to go there. What can I tempt him with?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now