Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm shocked!!!

(8 Posts)
dot1 Fri 05-Aug-05 14:03:16

Blimey - just trying to book a hire car at Southampton Airport for 5 days in September. Was supposed to be a really cheap holiday 'cos we're broke (staying at a friend's house in Brighton for a few days), so got cheap flights but need a hire car. The car hire's OK, but the cost of hiring child seats is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

We're looking at another £40 - 60 on top of the car hire... I don't understand - why isn't it covered in the insurance and how can they get away with this???

anorak Fri 05-Aug-05 14:06:00

Well maybe there's a mumsnetter in the Southampton area who can lend you one?

Anyone?

anorak Fri 05-Aug-05 14:06:41

Oh I guess you need two, don't you?

Norash Fri 05-Aug-05 14:23:49

Sorry if useless info, you've probably thought of this but why don't you just take your own car seats? . I would.

dot1 Fri 05-Aug-05 15:09:57

Anorak - lovely idea but probably impractical 'cos we need 2.

Norash - we didn't really want to carry them around - we've got to get to Manchester Airport at this end, and I'm worried about the baggage allowance - can't imagine how we're going to keep it within the limit as it is!!

sigh. Flying was supposed to be much better - cheaper than petrol, tons quicker and therefore less stressful. Now, if you add in the car seats and my getting stressed, we probably should have driven!!

ediemay Fri 05-Aug-05 15:12:19

Hi dot1, the car seats will be fine as extras on your luggage and it's easy at Manchester - you can do self check-in then just take your luggage along to the end - there is always someone around to help.

PrettyCandles Fri 05-Aug-05 15:14:51

How old are your children? Some airlines will allow you to take smaller carseats as cabin luggage, or even allow the child to sit in the carseat in the plane (if the carseat is the right make). Alternatively, if the child is big enough for a booster, even if they don't use one at home, you could get one now as you know you'll need it in a few years' time in any case. That's what we did.

dot1 Fri 05-Aug-05 15:14:55

Really?! (cheering up a bit - was just about to start a new thread on 'other' about how grumpy I'm feeling..!).

I'll check with the airline but that might be the answer - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now