Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

typhoid vaccination anyone??

(14 Posts)
alexsmum Thu 04-Aug-05 20:07:36

has anyone had their child/themselves vaccinated against typhoid before travelling? what were the side effects? how did it go?

info please!

Lonelymum Thu 04-Aug-05 20:09:37

No. My dh has just been to China without the recommended typhoid jab as he didn't have enough time for it. We are waiting for the symptoms to appear even now!

Sorry. Just thought I would share that with you. I can't help with the question.

WigWamBam Thu 04-Aug-05 20:12:09

I reacted really badly to the typhoid jab, my arm swelled up and went scarlet from shoulder to wrist, I couldn't move it for several days and it was really, really painful.

I don't know whether such an extreme reaction is normal, but that was certainly my experience both times I've had it done.

alexsmum Thu 04-Aug-05 20:13:43

aawww shit.

anyone else??

WigWamBam Thu 04-Aug-05 20:16:40

Oh, and it made me feel fluey as well - although that was nothing compared to the rest of it.

WestCountryLass Thu 04-Aug-05 21:00:39

DS who was 3.5 at the time has had the vaccine, he had no side effects at all

motherinferior Thu 04-Aug-05 21:04:27

I've had it loads of times since I was a child. It's not nice, although it is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. However, the reason it's not nice is that typhoid is a terrible disease so please, please have it if you need it.

Gobbledigook Thu 04-Aug-05 21:13:13

I didn't react badly but it bloody hurt!

Not half as much as having typhoid though I wouldn't have thought!

Caroline5 Thu 04-Aug-05 21:34:00

Had typhoid vaccine when I was about 20 and felt really fluey for about a day. Arm didn't swell up though.

suedonim Thu 04-Aug-05 21:54:47

All four of us had typhoid jabs to live abroad. None of us had any reactions at all.

PrettyCandles Thu 04-Aug-05 22:02:26

Sh and I had typhoid jabs some years ago, and the only side-effect we had werrre a very sore, achey and tender arm each, which eased over a few days. IIRC we may have felt vaguely fluey after a day or two, but not for more than a day or two. We weren't off work at all, and were certainly back to 100% within a few days.

alexsmum Thu 04-Aug-05 22:51:06

where did you go to live suedonim?

kid Thu 04-Aug-05 22:54:03

I had typhoid injection and had no side effects. I also had hepatitus (sp?) at the same time which left a small lump at the injection site (on my bum!)

Jbck Sat 06-Aug-05 21:13:27

Had typhoid & cholera in each arm both arms couldn't move by the afternoon & I felt horrendous. Apparently I was actually green. However when we were on the way home I heard one of the stewardesses telling a family who hadn't had the jab as there had been reported cases they may not be allowed off the plane as they didn't have certificates to say they would be ok.
Turned out ok but they were panicking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now