Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holiday to alicante, spain - question about car seats in rental cars

(16 Posts)
Kelly1978 Wed 03-Aug-05 21:01:03

Hi,

We've booked a week in Spain, booking a villa, flights and now tryign to sort out car hire. Our prob is that all the car hire companies only seem to hire seats for either 1-3 years or booster. What do the Spanish people usually do with babies?

We could take our own car seats, and take the travel system buggy for the twins, but we're flying with firstchoice and not sure whether or not we can take them and about baggage allowance. We've not booked seats for them.

It'll be the first time I've been abroad - Help!!

Kelly1978 Thu 04-Aug-05 09:30:56

bump

pjsmum Thu 04-Aug-05 11:08:24

Hi, we are off to spain and were going to hire a car, its cheaper to do it this end apparently. We were going to book with Holidayautos.co.uk and they told us that as long as you give at least 7 days notice they will provide car seats but you have to fit them yourself. I know what you mean about the luggage allowance its a nightmare. we have decided just to take her pushchair and ask to put it on as valet service so we have it whilst in the airport. I'm not looking forward to travelling with her!! Potential nightmare i think!

Kelly1978 Thu 04-Aug-05 12:28:28

I've checked that out, and they say car seats for 1-3 years. The dts are only 4 mnths. I can't seem to find anywhere that will accomodate them. I'm going to be travellign with 4 kids - defo nightmare!

popmum Thu 04-Aug-05 12:32:34

I would check with your airline cos they usually allow pushchairs to the door of the plane and they go in the hold at the last minute. Check re car seats as well. If you have 4 month olds I would def. take your own because the seats we've had have been rubbish (one vinyl which wasn't very nice in a hot country) and you will feel much better if you have your own.
The car hire places will generally not fit them to the car due to liability - they wouldn't even show us how to fit them

Kelly1978 Thu 04-Aug-05 12:34:48

I am a bit worried about the buggy and the car seats on the plane. The travel system and the car seats cost over £500 in total. Would I be covered if it gets damaged?

popmum Thu 04-Aug-05 12:43:45

Not necesarily - who are you flying with? We had one flight (small plane) where they gave us the buggy on the tarmac after landing - another where we had toget it off the carousel (where more damage can occur). Again, you should check with the airline and maybe your travel insurance. Don't think carseats will be able to go in actual plane, but have not taken one!

Kelly1978 Thu 04-Aug-05 12:45:16

firstchoice. On the site it says buggys have to be checked in, but they use air2000 and they say buggys can be kept until boarding. So it all conflicting really.

pjsmum Thu 04-Aug-05 12:46:04

When we flew to Scotland we kept the car seat until we boarded and then they put it in the hold for us. I'd check with your airline but they must make provisions for people travelling with children and babies. I'd also check your insurance incase of any damage, but if they allow you to keep hold of them til you board then they should be alright.

pjsmum Thu 04-Aug-05 12:50:40

If they can't decide what they allow and what they don't i'd kick off at check in. Sorry but I don't have time for the old left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing type thing!! When we flew back from Scotland they kept the carseat on an empty seat cos the plane wasn't full. Mind you someone then pinched our rucksack from inside it that had our digital camera and camcorder in!! What do other airlines say about this?

hermykne Thu 04-Aug-05 12:55:35

kelly i think you 'll find there is a disclaimer on the insurance policy re certain items - golf clubs, buggys, skis etc, plus the check in staff will probably have you sign a little disclaimer note at the desk that attaches to the buggy thus allowing them carry it to and from airplane, without any claims from you.

you ll find the airline staff pretty helpful, i ouwld have thought re getting to and from the plane, and if u have to go via the tarmac to the plane, u can take the buggy the whole way and then they take it from u at the airplane stairs, if its a gangway u can also take it tothe door of the plane.

its the same rules for a wheel chair.
i know the buggy is expensive - can u get a cover for it, but it will get plenty of bashes over time, i was certainly less concenred about my double buggy than my 1st single, and it bugged me like mad the cost too.

hth

popmum Thu 04-Aug-05 13:35:21

kelly when they say it is checked in and then kept til boarding they mean that you have to show it them at check in and they give you a baggage label (like your suitcase) but then you just hand it over when boarding

pjsmum Thu 04-Aug-05 21:46:21

Hi, sorry in foul mood earlier, wasn't much help i know. Was talking to my friend who flew last year to Alicante with year old son. She as allowed normal luggage allowance and kept her pushchair and car seat with her until she boarded. The staff then put them in the hold and she got them back when she left the plane. Also was allowed on first and given seats at the front. She thinks this was through firstchoice but not sure. I'd think that if you are travelling with twins they might be a bit more lenient with luggage etc.

Kelly1978 Fri 05-Aug-05 09:52:31

Hi,
Thanks for all the help, I'm def going to push for keeping hold of the buggy now, I was dreadign wanderign around an airport for two hours with two babies at 4am!! And will take the car seats too. At least then they can stay asleep. Still undecided whether to take the travel system or the cheaper buggy.
The cheaper buggy is more likly to break, but only cost £190 so will be covered by insurance. The travel sytem cost £350 for the pram part so isn't fully covered. I dont think I will be able to get a cover neither, as it's huge!
Still having great fun trying to get a car, even without seats. really shouldnt have decided to go on hol at the last minute. Most of MPVs seem to be booked up.

loobywoof Fri 05-Aug-05 10:08:51

Definately take your car seats. The one I got with a hire car in the past was diabolical. When I complained they looked at me as if I was stupid, overprotective, over the top etc. It took 2 hours to sort it out and I was stressed beyond belief especially as our flight had taken 5 hours instead of 2 as we had to reroute due to a 'poorly' passenger who was then passed as fit to fly afterall. He was with an all male group who had obviously overdone it the night before. DS was 10 months and it was his first flight. The next time I went I took his spare car seat and it was damaged on the return flight! Didn't realise till we got home because his main one was still in our car for him to use.
Will be going again in 6 weeks DS 2.10 and DD 5 months. Needless to say we will be taking 2 car seats and just hoping for the best.

Kelly1978 Fri 05-Aug-05 12:04:40

I'm jsut wondering, people who have had car seats daamged on planes - what happened to them? They seem pretty robust, nd i cannot imagine how they actually get damaged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now