Talk

Advanced search

Dublin was fab :)

(14 Posts)
Hulababy Tue 02-Aug-05 16:59:31

We have had a lovely time during the past two days Dublin is great. Thanks for all your help who offered hints and tips!

The flight was with Thomson Fly from Doncaster airport, and they were 99p each way (plus taxes), which came to about £25 return all in.

We stayed at Hardings Hotel on Fishamble Street, Dublin 2. It was great value. We booked it through Octopus Travel. It was approx £130 for the room, B&B for 2 nights. It was very easily within walking distance of the city centre - 5 to 10 minutes, about 10 minutes of the Jamesons Brewery, and of the Guiness place. About 2 minutes from the river. The hotel was in such a great location, and the rooms were big, clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend it.

Guiness centre was good too. The actual tour is self directed, with a fair bit of reading. TBH we prefer guided tours, but it was worth visiting. The restaurant there was lovely. And the final bar, where you get your freebie drink, right at the top with 360 degree views of Dublin, was fantastic.

We also went on a guided tour of the Jameson distillery. FIL was selected to do the big tasting session at the end. It was about 11am, and he had to sample 6 different whiskeys, and then he got another glass of his favourite. I'm not so keen on the stuff, neither was MIL - so DH got to have 4 glasses too! Needless to say they were quite cheery that afternoon

During the second morning we went ont he Viking tour - like a duck tour in London, on the bus/boat thingy. Was great fun. DD enjoyed pretending to be a Viking and roaring at unsuspecting passerbys. The rest of us enjoyed hearing and seeing more of Dublin.

I have to say I have never been anywhere where there are so many bars and restaurants. It's amazing!

All in all a fab time.

Oh, and MIL was so pleased with her birthday suprise; she couldn't believe no one had let it slip.

hermykne Tue 02-Aug-05 17:33:43

hula
i came on this evening to see if u had reported back!
glad u had a good time, but the "so many bars" - the nations problem.
mind u it does create a busy atmosphere

Hulababy Tue 02-Aug-05 20:45:29

It really was great

We actually didn't try the bars out - as we had DD with us, who is only 3yo. The hotel did have a bar below it though, and we did buy drinks from there and drank them in our room

Oh, and we tried Tayto crisps.

And DD got herself a little leprechaun.

Actually talking about DD - the irish people in Dublin were fantastic with children. Everywhere we took DD, they treated her so well, and welcomed her into places. Was fantastic!

MrsGordonRamsay Tue 02-Aug-05 20:48:43

Oh, and we tried Tayto crisps.

AND*

*AND

Hulababy Tue 02-Aug-05 20:53:51

Er...bae in mind I am not a crisp fan...they were, well, like

well, just crisps TBH.

Sorry

mishmash Tue 02-Aug-05 21:03:37

They don't taste as good as they used when you could buy them for 5p

Hulababy Wed 03-Aug-05 10:46:26

LOL! They were a little dearer now You may be showing your age there I guess.

gingerbear Wed 03-Aug-05 11:16:51

Glad you had a good time Hula. DH and I went to Dublin a few years ago at Easter. There are lots of bars in Dublin, DH specifically wanted to try real irish stout. Guess which two days all bars are closed in Ireland???

Good Friday and Christmas Day!!!!

Hulababy Wed 03-Aug-05 11:18:42

Eeek! Not good planning then.

You'll have to go again - flight is so easy from our local airport. Took 40 minutes, and the flights each way left early and arrived even earlier than said. And check in is so simple there.

And you may get a good deal - 99p!!!

gingerbear Wed 03-Aug-05 11:22:06

That is cheaper than a train to Sheffield!! Was DD's leprechaun real??

Oh another thing I remembered - we drove to Tipperary. The sign says 'Tipperary - You've Come a long way.' <<groan>>

Hulababy Wed 03-Aug-05 11:24:04

The leprechaun - er, no. She did look though as her great grandad had told her if she founf one she would get a bucket of gold. but alas, no.

However DD has named her leprechun EMILY! Yes. Hmmm...she knows he is a boy, but she still wants Emily as his name. Oh well.

jampots Wed 03-Aug-05 11:29:44

we were in Dublin on Monday too Hula but sadly didnt have long there. We tried to go into the Dundrum shopping centre but car was too tall . Made our way over to Dun Laoghaire to catch the DART back into Dublin but found it wasnt running due to bank holiday so hung out at DL (not quite the same) although did try Itsabagel which was great

pabla Wed 03-Aug-05 12:02:21

Mishmash, I can remember when the were 2p and that was in "old" money too! Now I'm really showing my age!

MrsGordonRamsay Wed 03-Aug-05 14:08:45

Oh God Pabla, so can I

And Milroy toffees were a penny, mind you we didn't pay for those too often, they were cousins of my mothers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now