Talk

Advanced search

Ladymuck needs a hotel recommendation please

(18 Posts)
Ladymuck Sun 31-Jul-05 21:44:44

Going away for a weekend without kids. Looking for a luxury hotel probably towards the New Forest (or somewhere within a couple of hours from South London). Pool/Gym/massage preferable.

A decade ago (when we did this more often!) I quite liked some of the Forte Heritage hotels. Anyone know what happened to them? I also like Nutfield Priory and would like something similar if poss.

Anyway any suggestion as to where we can go that is nice and not full of children. Please...

Ladymuck Sun 31-Jul-05 23:10:35

Any tips?

CountessDracula Sun 31-Jul-05 23:24:41

New Forest obv. one is Chewton Glen I suppose, not been there myself

WestCountryLass Sun 31-Jul-05 23:36:18

Any good?

http://www.newparkmanorhotel.co.uk/spanewforest.asp

triplets Mon 01-Aug-05 00:00:02

hi,
Not the New Forest, but Wallets Court at St Margarets Bay nr Dover is a real treat!

CountessDracula Mon 01-Aug-05 16:43:24

Well Ladymuck? Any decisions?

I thought of you this pm when I saw a "Lady Muck" mug in Oliver Bonas!

lapsedrunner Mon 01-Aug-05 19:53:17

Look at www.westoverhallhotel.com it is fab and is in Milford on Sea (New Forest) does not have pool though.

Ladymuck Mon 01-Aug-05 23:41:16

Hmmm in the absence of any other ideas last night I came across Four Seasons Hampshire which appealed - has anyone been there?

Chewton Glen looks good, and I'm just trying to get the brochure on New Park Manor. Our 10th wedding anniversayr is approaching, and I'm shunting the boys off to Grandma for a weekend.

CountessDracula Tue 02-Aug-05 19:00:14

how about Pennyhill Park

CountessDracula Tue 02-Aug-05 19:01:05

or the Vineyard nr Newbury

lydz Tue 02-Aug-05 19:04:22

If just east of Bath isn't too far for you, Lucknam Park looks superb and the chef is fantastic. Although if you go there I will be very as we were supposed to go this year for anniversary but no one will babysit for us overnight

bosscat Tue 02-Aug-05 19:44:49

ladymuck, you need the Mr and Mrs Smith Hotel Guide for UK/Ireland. It is the definitive guide to the most stylish places to stay. I have stayed in 3 places they have recommended and they are the best I have ever tried. We are trying their recommendation for Venice in September and would never have found it otherwise, a 16th century Palazzo with a water landing in the reception!! I can tell you the recommendations for about 2 hours away from you are:

The Cotswold House Hotel www.cotswoldhouse.com
Stoke Park Club www.stokeparkclub.com
le manoir aux quats saisons
Barnsley House www.barnsleyhouse.com
Whatley Manor www.whatleymanor.com

but if you can get hold of the book its worth it, the advice is the best and the pictures are great.

CountessDracula Tue 02-Aug-05 22:05:45

or Babington House?

bossykate Tue 02-Aug-05 22:16:07

agree with all the suggestions so far.

would add cowley manor (cotswolds) and any of these - sussex.

or what about this? - also sussex.

i think if you are looking for 2 hrs from s. london it's got to be cotswolds, new forest, sussex, surrey, berkshire....?

bossykate Tue 02-Aug-05 22:17:43

hang on - where are you in s. london? if you are not too far out, then suffolk could be an option - we made it in 2 and a bit hrs from inner city s. london - crown and castle, orford? swan, southwold?

bossykate Tue 02-Aug-05 22:25:28

btw can i say how utterly i am at the prospect of getting away with your dh w/o kids! have a lovely time

northerner Wed 03-Aug-05 09:36:26

I deffo second The Vinyard, or how about The Grove in Hertfordshire?

Forte Heritage Hotels were all sold off years ago. Thery have a new brand now - Rocco Forte Hotels and they include The Lowry in Manchester, St Davids bay in Cardiff etc.

Ladymuck Wed 03-Aug-05 21:37:20

Ladies thank you ever so much for these. They look wonderful. Now I just have to decide which aspects of the stay will be the most important...the food, the spa or the surround-sound cinema!

CD - I'm afraid that we're more city types than Soho House (been at Pennyhill Park for work conferences though). The romantic break at Whatley Manor is looking good so far!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now