Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in Brixham, Devon, and around Torbay?

(11 Posts)
edam Sun 31-Jul-05 12:29:06

Just wondered if any MNers live near Brixham or know the area. I'm going there for week soon and know nothing about it (someone's lending us their cottage, hurrah!). We'll be four adults, one toddler and one baby so obviously child-centred stuff tops (although hoping the men will babysit one night so my sister and I can go out).

TIA

edam Sun 31-Jul-05 13:51:49

bump for any Devonian MNers...

edam Sun 31-Jul-05 20:49:39

one last, forlorn bump...

goosey Sun 31-Jul-05 21:00:26

I would head over the ferry to Dartmouth and around the coast road to here and to Slapton. Much nicer than Paignton and Torquay I think, although the boat trip across to Torquay from Brixham is quite nice and there's an outdoor sea water filled swimming pool at Brixham.
Pennywell Farm is great for little ones too.
Lots of other lovely places and Dartmoor of course, which is my favourite.

KathH Sun 31-Jul-05 21:35:25

Just got back from a week at Paignton - Paignton Zoo is really nice, Dartmouth is pretty, Slapton Sands is really interesting - they were practising for the D Day Landings and about 500 Americans lost their lives - there's a tank that they fished out of the water altho its probablyonly about an hrs visit. There's a couple of musuem type places in Torquay altho dont think they're pushchair friendly. There's an adventure park near Totnes which is about 1/2 hr way, will have to look up the name of it. We had kids of 12, 8, 6 and 10mths and found plenty to do. There's a waterpark at Paignton called Quaywest (or something like that) which is good altho your kids may be too young?

shrub Sun 31-Jul-05 21:44:04

totnes and dartington very child friendly (i live in dartington). totnes has been voted no 9 in the top 10 funkiest places in the world by british airways (not sure what funky means anymore though!) lovely shops, cafes, big on organic food, the arts and therapies. there is a place called riverford farm that grows lots of organic veg. you can go on tractor rides with the kids around the farm and there is a cafe on site that cooks everything from the surrounding fields. if children into pirates etc. brixham quayside has a real scale model of the golden hind (sir francis drake) that is very child friendly with lots of levels on board the ship and interesting models inside. there is a stunning beach called blackpool sands near dartmouth which is again very child friendly and lovely food.

shrub Sun 31-Jul-05 21:47:56

almost forgot - plymouth aquarium is amazing! sharks! sea turtles! a really good day out. with any of these places best to go in the morning or late afternoon as its getting very busy

sassy Mon 01-Aug-05 08:16:14

If you want to go a bit further afield, there is a minature pony centre place up on Dartmoor where the kids can pet ponies/donkeys, have a ride on one, play areas, rabbits etc.

Our dd1 (2y8mo) loved it. Bit of a drive though - about 45 mins from Torbay.

morningpaper Mon 01-Aug-05 08:48:55

In Brixham, there are a few beaches (Breakwater breach, Shoalstone breach) with rockpools - best at low tide. Buy a fishing net and fish for shrimps.

Walk along the breakwater and watch the fishermen fishing off the end and see the lighthouse.

You can walk from the breakwater along the marina front into town - not a long walk but very pleasant and lots of boats to see.

Walk up to Berry Head - you go up through a wood and there's an old Napoleonic Fort at the top where the kids can charge around, and a cheap cafe for a drink and ice-cream. Views are beautiful.

Berry Head Hotel is pleasant for lunch if your kids are the type you can take to a public eatery! You can sit and look at the views of the bay - very nice.

You can get boat trips from Brixham to Torquay - takes about 30 minutes and is good fun. You can do some shopping or go to the beach in Torquay and then head back.

Hope you have a lovely holiday!

bluesky Mon 01-Aug-05 14:33:18

edam, loads to do there, we've had great holidays there. Big Sainsburys outside Brixham for food shopping, nice beaches in Brixham, big one at Paignton nr the big slide/swim place, it has crazy golf here too, plus the steam train which my two loved. Paignton Zoo was another hit. When it rains, Rainbow Fun house in Torquay, a converted church soft play centre. Boat trip from Brixham to Torquay is just the right length of time. Sealife type centre in Torquay at the harbour. Have fun!

edam Mon 01-Aug-05 14:40:07

ooh, I got some replies! Thank you so much for all the ideas. Tempted just to give dh and BIL the itinerary for taking the kids out while sister and I recline gracefully on sun loungers in the garden though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now