Talk

Advanced search

Luxury hotel in Midlands

(32 Posts)
Prufrock Sat 30-Jul-05 17:44:19

On Dec 1st I will have known dh for 10 years. We have decided to celebrate by dumping our children with my mother and going somewhere lovely together for a few days.
She lives in Nottingham, so I want somewhere within 2 hours max drive of there. It has to be luxurious, have an excellent restaurant, a spa and preferably no kids .

Any recommendations? Or does anybody know of decent websites which will allow me to search for the right place?

mandymac Sat 30-Jul-05 18:02:28

Hi Prufrock

From Notts so no real need for hotels here, however my sis stayed at Risley Hall which I know has Spa, large grounds etc - not sure about quality of restaurant, but sure you could google to find a review. Also if you fancied staying in Notts city centre, Lace Market hotel is lovely with great restaurant, lack of Spa could be compensated for by range of great bars, shops etc within walking distance.

Blackduck Sat 30-Jul-05 18:07:16

Mallory Court - Leamington Spa - no SPa, but great food!

Blackduck Sat 30-Jul-05 18:09:15

Or Hotel du Vin in Birmingham (has a Spa) and then eat out at Jessicas, Paris or Simpsons.....see here for resturants...
link

Fio2 Sat 30-Jul-05 18:10:18

obv there will be lots in Nottingham

I have been to lots and lots in Shropshire without kids, just wondering if thats too far. Ludlow is very nice though for couples

iota Sat 30-Jul-05 18:11:09

I stayed here many yrs ago - can't vouch for what it's like today, but it was good then

iota Sat 30-Jul-05 18:16:47

and de vere hotels are usually good de vere

Fio2 Sat 30-Jul-05 18:24:29

this one is lovely, i can vouch for it meself

here

Prufrock Sun 31-Jul-05 17:15:18

Nope - one of those are right. But thank you.

I want spa and restaurant - something like this but near my parents would be perfect. And I would prefer romantic country house to city centre. Any more ideas?

lydz Sun 31-Jul-05 17:33:30

How about this ?

WigWamBam Sun 31-Jul-05 17:39:29

Coombe Abbey is pretty special.

fairydust Sun 31-Jul-05 17:41:18

breadsall priory although it's in derby it's very near to nottingham we're from that way and have stayed there a couple of times and it's very nice and relaxing

Prufrock Sun 31-Jul-05 17:51:14

Coombe looks lovely, but no spa. Stapleford might just be the one

lydz Sun 31-Jul-05 17:58:07

If you like Stapleford try
this

Prufrock Sun 31-Jul-05 18:53:19

lydz - are you my mother? she recommended that, but I honestly could not bring myself to go somewhere that boasts of having "perrenial Warner favourite Des O'Connor appearing"

lydz Sun 31-Jul-05 19:07:51

Well you ARE taking your mum....

Ok, I'll get my coat

lydz Sun 31-Jul-05 19:10:51

Last suggestion - there's always Ragdale Hall, although don't know about the food there

Prufrock Sun 31-Jul-05 21:22:50

NO No No, I'm not taking my Mum - It's my meeting anniversary with dh - it will be jsut me and him, the kids are staying with my mum.

bossykate Sun 31-Jul-05 21:39:20

have just had a search round - stapleford might be your best bet to tick all the boxes. you will get great food at e.g. morston hall, holt, n. norfolk, but no spa...

Prufrock Sun 31-Jul-05 22:02:17

Oh I hoped you might pop in here bk. What do you use to search? I've tried googling but I need a dedicated luxury hotel search engine.

lydz Sun 31-Jul-05 22:05:40

Oops - I can't read . Well for you and DH Stapleford would be fab, I reckon, so there - sorted!

bossykate Mon 01-Aug-05 08:04:59

i use www.cntraveller.com, www.telegraph.co.uk, www.guardian.co.uk.

btw if you wouldn't mind being a bit further away, there are tons of places in the cotswolds, e.g. cowley manor, lygon arms etc. if you could live without the spa there are at least a couple of good options in norfolk... again a bit further away.

there is a place called the dakota hotel v. near nottingham, v. trendy with good reviews for the food, but no spa and from what i gathered a business traveller ambience... hmm. no spa either! but it was featured in cntraveller...

bossykate Mon 01-Aug-05 08:06:05

or try lastminute.com and search on the 5* options, or in the "unique and boutique" section.

bossykate Mon 01-Aug-05 08:07:08

btw, i don't actually go to luxury hotels myself, lol! given the amount of time i spend reading about them...

lydz Mon 01-Aug-05 11:53:42

But at least you've done your research and can leave printouts of the best ones lying around when it's coming up to your anniversary/birthday.

DH likes luxury hotels even more than I do so I don't have to drop hints - the only thing stopping us is a lack of babysitting (and a lack of dosh). Which is a shame with our 10th wedding anniversary coming up this month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now