Talk

Advanced search

Off to Dublin on Sunday :)

(19 Posts)
Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 21:42:48

Really excited too!

We booked it a while back. We are going for 2 nights, from Sunday to Tuesday. We got fab 99p each way tickets - so about £25 return, inc taxes. And we have a B&B hotel south of the river.

It is actually a suprise trip for MIL's 60th birthday. She is still in the dark about it, although FIl is in on the act. Even her work know, as we had to book Monday off work for her.

We are teling MIL tomorrow afternoon. She thinks we are going round for dinner and drinks

No plans for when we get there yet. Although DH and FIL are planning on going to the Guiness place for a tour and drink, and lots more Guiness and beer too

A friend has helped me lots already and suggested some nice places to eat.

Any hints and tips?

Yorkiegirl Fri 29-Jul-05 21:43:39

Message withdrawn

zaphod Fri 29-Jul-05 21:47:47

Bring back lots of Tayto. And enjoy a nice glass of red lemonade.

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 21:48:32

Tayto?
Red lemonade?

What are these? Intrigued!

zaphod Fri 29-Jul-05 21:51:42

These are what other Mners seem to crave from Ireland. Tayto are crisps, and red lemonade is...lemonade that is red. (well more orangey really)

You MUST try them and tell us what you think.

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 21:52:21

OK

puff Fri 29-Jul-05 21:52:35

I know it's v touristy, but I always do the open top bus tours to get my bearings in a city. Really enjoyed the one in Dublin.

tarantula Fri 29-Jul-05 21:56:14

go to Newgrange if you can manage it and are into history in any way. Its a fantastic experience and IMO a brillaint way of managing an ancient monument. One of the few places where Britain could take a tip from the Irish for places like stonehenge.

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 21:57:18

FIL and DH are both into history, so that may be good.

Really ought to try and get a dublin guide tomorrow if we can.

tarantula Fri 29-Jul-05 21:59:45

ah just read that again and see you are only going for 2 nights so doubt youd make it to Newgrange.

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 22:00:59

Ah, okay. Gather it is far out then. Yes, we are only then a couple fo days.

tarantula Fri 29-Jul-05 22:01:49

Its quite a bit outside Dublin so not accessible unless you have a car. Bus Eireann do tours but not everyday and I think they get booked up quick too.

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-05 22:09:33

Maybe next time then.

tarantula Fri 29-Jul-05 22:32:18

Well you can check out Stephens Green Shoping centre and park and send the lads off to Killmainham Jail (Its now a museum) Thats where they executed all the leaders of the 1916 rising and all that kinda stuff. the National History Museum is also fantasic and there are some good art gallerys. If you have a spare 1/2 hour or so the Natural History Museum is worth a look as its an old victorian style Museum full of stuffed animals. Its one of the few of this style of museum left in the world so is kinda a Museum of a museum IYSWIM.

Hulababy Sat 30-Jul-05 07:31:59

Wel, suppose I ought to think about packing some clothes and bits. Off to pil this lunch time.

Thanks for suggestions

munz Sat 30-Jul-05 07:38:02

ooh yay have a great time hula! (dublin it's fab there)

Hulababy Sat 30-Jul-05 07:40:50

Cheers munz; first time there for us.

DD is so excited. There is no way MIL won't know a second after we walk through therir door!

hermykne Sat 30-Jul-05 08:33:02

avoca handweavers off grafton street is a lovely shop but also has a really nice restaurant on top floor, accessible and children friendly.

monday is a bank holiday in ireland , so dublin could be a little quieter traffic wise,

take the luas ( the new tram ) from the city centre , goes to dundrum, for a spin
or
take the dart along the coast and hope off at dun laoghaire and walk the pier.

st stephens green has a play park for little ones. handy if they are getting annoyed with just strolling around

have a good time

Hulababy Sat 30-Jul-05 08:34:20

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now