Talk

Advanced search

Good hotel in Normandy?

(12 Posts)
ks Wed 27-Jul-05 14:15:37

Message withdrawn

OldieMum Wed 27-Jul-05 14:30:04

There are many Normandy hotels in the Good Hotel Guide, Continental Europe, ranging from posh to simple. It costs about £15.00, but we've found it worth the money in the past, as we have never found any of its recommendations to be duds. The Guide also gives you a good idea of what to expect in the way of facilities, cost and atmosphere. Indeed, we'll be picking out a Normandy hotel ourselves this evening, for the night before we catch the ferry back from Caen at the end of our holiday.

Marina Wed 27-Jul-05 14:33:07

I don't know any specific hotels ks but nearby Trouville is supposed to be more family oriented and less in-yer-face-luxe than Deauville.
Frogs - the local yuk-fest is surely to be had eating boudin noir or tripes a la mode de Caen...you will be back in Italy before you know it after a regime of these two lovely local dishes.

Marina Wed 27-Jul-05 14:34:34

Our favourite guide for the NW coast of France as far as Le Havre is the Cadogan one, Short Breaks in Northern France. Although we have only used it for Pas de Calais area its recommendations have been 100% delightful and reliable every time. Might be worth seeing if they do one for Normandy in general, ks.

Milge Wed 27-Jul-05 14:37:19

lovely hotels in montreuil sur mer near le touquet. Don't think its normandy though as its quite near Calais, come to think of it, but might as well post this just in case its of use!
We stayed at the Barriere in Deauville for a week last year and loved it too.

ks Wed 27-Jul-05 16:19:01

Message withdrawn

ks Wed 27-Jul-05 16:21:23

Message withdrawn

Ameriscot2005 Wed 27-Jul-05 16:54:06

Here's a good booking site for independent hotels in France:

http://www.fhr.fr/

lapsedrunner Wed 27-Jul-05 19:22:33

Have you thought about Chambre D'hote (B&B and oftern half board). Look at www.gites-de-france.fr.

Ellbell Wed 27-Jul-05 19:42:55

Whereabouts in Normandy, KS? Stayed in the Hotel Le Conquerant in Barfleur once. Ask for a room overlooking the garden, which is idyllic. Friends of ours always stay at the Moderne also in Barfleur. They were booked when we went, but we ate there and the food was fab.

Alternatively, try the Logis de France website. We are renting a cottage on the Cotentin Peninsula in August, but found a hotel here to stay in on the way there (near Montreuil).

My French is assez terrible too. Like you, I understand, and I think I know what I'm going to say, but then I open my mouth and it all comes out in Italian!

tatt Thu 28-Jul-05 06:51:19

ks hope you have a great time. We'd make a good pair. I can usually make myself understood in French if I know the right words but I can't understand the reply. That's got nothing to do with why we once ended up in a hotel used by French prostitutes though

ks Sat 30-Jul-05 11:57:33

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now