Talk

Advanced search

Would you go on a sightseeing trip to London now?

(12 Posts)
ghosty Mon 25-Jul-05 12:28:23

Hello .... haven't been around for a while, can never get online ....
Need advice ...
We are currently in the UK on a long family trip ... Dsis's wedding went well, have seen lots of people etc etc.
We promised DS a trip to London to see Big Ben and go on the London Eye and see the dinosaur bones ... we planned to go on the tube and do a double decker bus ... hmmmm ...
Anyway, DH doesn't want to go ... I do and I don't ... We have talked about this trip for months, I don't want DS to be diasappointed, I hate the fact that these people are potentially stopping us from doing it ... I feel if we don't go then terrorism has won.
I hate the fact that we have come 12000 miles and we won't go to London ....
But I don't want to put my family at risk ...

I know many of you live and work in London and so don't have much choice about being there and probably wonder what will happen every day BUT ....

Would you go if you were in my shoes?

Will check in later for answers ...

Love

ghosty ...

ps ... essbee ... haven't forgotten you, will ring you this week

lisa34 Mon 25-Jul-05 13:28:09

We were going to take a trip to london for sons 5th birthday, staying in london and then going onto legoland - but there is no way we are going now - most of my own family live in london and they have advised me to stay away - so i'm taking their advise. Hope you make the right choice you have come a long way . My DH is travelling to london this week on business and I am not happy about him going - but what can you do we live in Leeds and we've had bombs scares here before and it is really terrifying so if you do decide to go please be careful and keep an eye out for anyting suspicious and above all have a really good time - London is a great place to visit.

hunkermunker Mon 25-Jul-05 13:30:36

Yes, I'd go.

Janh Mon 25-Jul-05 13:33:30

ghosty, I think in your position I'd chance it - having come 12,000 miles to visit means it's not exactly a whim or an "unnecessary journey".

Hope you can manage to see everything you want to and that you can get around reasonably easily

kcemum Mon 25-Jul-05 13:36:13

Personally I'd go but I know that DH wouldn't.

Most big cities in the UK have had bomb threats prior and post the london bombings but life does go on.

MeerkatsUnite Mon 25-Jul-05 13:39:09

Hi Ghosty,

I would go to London myself and am planning to travel there later this week. My DH is one of thousands of people who commute into that city during the week.

Being 12000 miles away as well means that you probably won't be visiting London for a long time when you do return home.

The risk to yourselves is actually very small. You are more at risk of being run over than being actually caught up in a terrorist attack. All I can advise is to plan your route properly, report anything suspicious and be observant.

Meerkats

P.S You can actually walk over Westminster Bridge from Big Ben to the London Eye - its not very far. If you do go on the London Eye book your ticket in advance via the internet. Apart from saving some cash you won't need to queue for your ticket.

Blu Mon 25-Jul-05 13:47:56

Oooh, how exciting that you are here, Ghosty - and what a shame it's at a timewhen things aer tense.

I would do it! But I would tend to keep the days simple and not too ambitious, because the chances of being delayed in a transport seize-up are much much greater than being caught up in an actual incident. A scare, false alarm, someone leaving a bad etc, can all cause delays.

My work and home life is in a Bermuda triangle of all the locations and addresses you see in the S London aspect of all this, but life on the bus seemed v normal this morning. Once you're doing it, it feels more ordinary, than sitting reading about it in the paper, iyswim.

ghosty Mon 25-Jul-05 14:17:38

Thanks everyone ...
I really want to go ... I just need to persuade DH as he is dead against it!

Waswondering Mon 25-Jul-05 14:22:19

We're going in Sept, just the two of us. Feel a little apprehensive, but we are banking on the fact that London has a population considerably larger than Scotland and proportionally very few are caught up in these things.

My Mum is a bit uneasy about it though . . .

Cam Mon 25-Jul-05 15:07:10

ghosty, I don't live in London but visit quite a lot and dh commutes a couple of times a week. I have 2 day trips with dd planned which involve tickets bought before the current situation and am definitely going to continue with my plans.

Stargazer Mon 25-Jul-05 15:36:06

Might be planning a few day trips later in the holidays. I know it's been awful, but I can't stop doing the things I want to do "just in case". Might be visiting the diamond exhibition with DS (9½) - it will be lovely.

handlemecarefully Mon 25-Jul-05 16:01:47

No I wouldn't go....I might have my arm twisted if I wasn't doing any of it by public transport...i.e. I can conceive of making a visit to say, Kew Gardens, having driven there and payed exorbitant parking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now