Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know paris?

(18 Posts)
AuntyQuated Sun 24-Jul-05 19:32:22

in particular...

which is the most central railway station, Montparnasse or Austerlitz?

what ought we to see in one day? want to see and go up the Eiffel Tower, but what else would you recommend?

tia

AQ

Nbg Sun 24-Jul-05 19:34:23

Lot's of places but I daren't put them on as I can't spell them correctly and I'd look a bit daft!

Not too sure about the stations.

AuntyQuated Sun 24-Jul-05 19:35:41

at least you know them Nbg!

you can always email me!
auntyquated@yahoo.co.uk

hunkermunker Sun 24-Jul-05 19:38:42

The Arc de Triomphe is lovely, so is the Louvre, so is the Pompidou Centre, so is the Arc de la Defense.

Probably spelt them all wrong...

We used to go in via Gare St Lazare, I believe, don't know the stations you mention (or don't recall them - haven't been to Paris for years now!).

Whizzz Sun 24-Jul-05 19:43:04

There is a good view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe down all the roads & it's not as manic as the Eiffel tower
(well it wasn't when I was there....I'm scared to count how many years ago it was !)

We arrived at the Gare St Lazare too

Nbg Sun 24-Jul-05 19:45:10

Sent it AQ.

The museum I couldn't think of is the Pompidou centre and like HM said Louvre and Arc dela defense.

Ameriscot2005 Sun 24-Jul-05 19:46:23

The stations are similar to London - they ring around the city centre and serve the area beyond. If you are coming from the UK, then Gare du Nord is where you come in. Austerlitz serves the Loire Valley and South west, but it is close to the centre (Notre Dame), as is Gare du Lyon.

Eiffel Tower if you have time to spend in the queue. La Louvre is good, and if you only have a short time, the route to the Mona Lisa is marked.

Personally, I like to hang out in the St Michel area. The other great area is Montmartre/Sacre Coeur.

The area around Gare St Lazare is a good example of shopping (famous department stores) and restuarants.

MeerkatsUnite Sun 24-Jul-05 19:48:26

In answer to your question Chatelet is the most central station. Montparnasse is to the south and Austerlitz is to the east in Paris city centre.

Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Musee D'Orsay (if you like impressionist art that is) to name but three are all good places to visit.

hunkermunker Sun 24-Jul-05 19:50:04

I want to go to Paris again now!

AuntyQuated Sun 24-Jul-05 20:46:12

brill thanks

we are staying in the loire for 2 weeks and are going to go for paris for the day

2 choices - fast train getting in to montparneasse in just over an hour
- slow train getting into austerlitz in just under 3 hours!!!

price difference is about 30 quid...worth it imo; 2 and a half hours versus 6 hours.

so as there seems to be little in it i think montparnasse it will be

dd is 9 and ds is 6 so keep the suggestions flowing

thanks for your email nbg, will reply soon

Nbg Sun 24-Jul-05 20:48:13

I forgot Disneyland. If you can go again for a day thats quite a good day out. Get your tickets from the disneyshop.

Miaou Sun 24-Jul-05 20:49:44

blossom2 lives in Paris IIRC. She's just had a baby though so she's not on here as regularly as before.

However if she does a search on her name then this thread will come up so she may have some advice for you....

AuntyQuated Sun 24-Jul-05 20:50:57

i want to forget DL too

Ameriscot2005 Mon 25-Jul-05 09:02:23

Where in the Loire are you going, AQ?

I used to work in Blois (between Orleans and Tours) and frequently took the train to Austerlitz - I'm sure it only took about an hour.

tribpot Mon 25-Jul-05 10:22:15

I always recommend people go to the Tour de Montparnasse (which might tie in with your travel plans). Fabulous views of Paris, with the added advantage of being able to see the Eiffel Tower (and have it in your photos).

AuntyQuated Tue 26-Jul-05 10:18:46

we are going to saint-catherine...south of tours so we are guessing tours is the nearest train station

have printed info off interenet and will go to the station with it.

Tour de Montparnasse sounds like a goos idea - thnaks

Skribble Tue 26-Jul-05 22:41:13

Here is the RAPT interactive map in case you haven't all ready found it. Many of the RER stations are linked to the Metro. If you want to see a few things around paris i would recommend getting a day ticket or a carnet of tickets and jump on and off Metro to save the legs and fit more in.

Enid Tue 26-Jul-05 23:05:25

Just walk around !

it is all beautiful

Montmarte the most gorgeous place in any city on earth - my fantasy place. A little flat on Rue Des Abbesses.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now