Talk

Advanced search

Solway Holiday Village, Silloth on Solway, Cumbria...

(9 Posts)
butterflymum Tue 19-Jul-05 23:50:29

....anyone been there and/or know the area?

Good eating places, shopping, places of interest, wet day ideas for kids etc would be most welcome.

butterflymum Wed 20-Jul-05 11:30:02

Anyone?

The Stanwix site, which seems to be '5 stars' on the Tourist Board ratings is fully booked - cannot find any ratings for the Solway site.

anteater Wed 20-Jul-05 11:51:04

Never been but can tell you its its north of Carlisle so a bit of a trek to get anywhere apart from Carlisle and Hadrians wall...

butterflymum Wed 20-Jul-05 12:10:24

Thanks, anteater. Happy enough about the 'get away from it all' location and ok about doing some travelling to places of interest.

Would really like any personal experience of the 'site'or perhaps a mumsnetter out there lives in the area and knows of it?

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:12:13

we went there a couple of yrs ago when pg so no kids. They had a swimming pool etc but to be honest. We spent mos tof time out on day trips took about hr to get to lakes etc. The sit and silloth itself is tiny there are a handful of shops, a beach and there seemed to be a fair thing there but it wasnt open [we did go in june though]
was easy to get to gretna green and hadrians wall, keswick etc

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:18:53

meant to say site itself is quite basic but then its a get what u pay for scenario. there is a pool which was like a sauna, kids play area thing, clubhouse/bar, arcade [about 8 games and mini bowling] a take away which wasnt very nice..nicer chippy up the road. Didnt eat in restraunt as it was same menu as take away.
small site shop. It was clean and a good pit stop but wouldnt have liked to spend all day onsite. however with kids its different as they can play in pool etc.

Dahlia Wed 20-Jul-05 12:22:59

Hiya butterflymum- we've been there! We stayed for a week in April 2003 when I was heavily pregnant with dd2. So, plus points, the pool was very nice, with a sauna, kids pool etc, nice and clean, nice changing rooms. The chalets were clean and comfy and well equipped. There was an indoor amusement area with mini ten pin bowling and various arcade games which we spent alot of time in. There was crazy golf outside, which was a bit basic. There was a nice little takeaway food section (very cheap!) basic burgers, chips, chilli, all very pleasant and very handy. There was a nice little restaurant, again cheap, nice service, varied but not wildly inventive menu, but fine for kids. They did entertainment I think at night in the bar but we never went in as dd1 was 7 and not into staying up late. I am sure there was a little animal area too, where they had a couple of horses, goats, and interesting birds to look at. Only half an hours worth to look at, but another thing to do. The actual grounds were ok, lots of chickens wandering around which the kids all chased. My dd had a fab time, she met up with lots of other children and wandered round in a big gang, messing about, climbing trees etc. She sobbed when we came home. There were loads of children there. We went to Keswick one day, also Bassenthwaite, lovely walk down to the lake, and a nice little manor house to wander round. Silloth itself is nothing special, but again they have a huge arcade place which we went in alot and dd loved it, playing on penny slot machines and such like. There isn't a beach as such, its all sludgy mud, but you can walk along the front which is pleasant. I am trying to remember what was nearby, I am sure there was a really nice animal farmpark, it was well signposted and a great day out. I have to say we had a lovely holiday there, it was cheap and cheerful, and I would recommend it as long as you don't expect anything grand. It is slightly shabby! HTH!

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:25:53

Bassenthwaite and coniston lake both lovely places to go to

butterflymum Wed 20-Jul-05 14:47:11

Thanks nemo and dahlia. Did wonder if it might be 'cheap & cheerful' as you say. Anyone else been recently (ie has it been improved/done up)?

Thanks too for ideas re Bassenthwaite, Hadrian's Wall etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: