Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP needed taking a 17 month old on a 10 hour flight

(11 Posts)
mojomands Tue 19-Jul-05 09:06:57

Very worried. I am taking my 17 month old dd on a 10 hour flight - ON MY KNEE! I'm very concerned as she's very independent and likes to be free. She's also got a great pair of lungs on her! What an earth am I going to do. Anyone had this experience? Also is there anything safe to mildly sedate her during the flight if things get too frantic? Also are there changing facilities?

MrsDoolittle Tue 19-Jul-05 09:09:27

I'm taking a 16 month old to NZ on my knee next month!! So my thoughts are with you, I shall be following this thread.
I have been recommended Phenergan.

suzywong Tue 19-Jul-05 09:12:14

hello
what I always say in answer to these threads is;
prepare for the worst, and it won't be that bad and you will be relieved

also you could
1. smile sweetly and make eyecontact with adjacent passengers, this way they are less likely to tut and gripe if your daughter kicks off
2. if you haven't booked your flight yet, book one that takes off just at her bedtime and chances are she'll sleep
3. take lots of water and drinks as little kids dehydrate quickly
4. the flight is the easy bit, it's the check-n waiting and the queues IME as that's when the kids get impatient and cranky
5. You won't be the only person on the flight with a little kid so you could always find a travel buddy and relax a little
6. Don't worry, the more you worry the more wound up you will get

Where are you going and who are you flying with?

suzywong Tue 19-Jul-05 09:13:44

don't do phenergan without testing it out at home first, some kids can have the opposite reaction and go hyper.

mojomands Tue 19-Jul-05 09:38:56

Flying to orlando then travelling 5 hours to some island off Georgia (Think we'll stay over night in Sandford before attempting the drive!)Flying with Airtours / MY travel. Someone said we'd get the bulkhead seating but when I called to ask re: this they said they were for disabled and for people with medical probs???

spykid Tue 19-Jul-05 09:40:08

phenergan made ds1 quite ill when he was prescribed it as an antihistamine so beware!

mojomands Tue 19-Jul-05 09:47:41

Well actually funny you should say that my friend was prescribed that for her twin girls and two pharamcists refused to administer it despite her having a docs prescription as they were under two years of age! I'm just panicky that she'll scream all the way as she won't want to stay on my knee. Flying at 9.25 in the morning going and fortunately coming back through the night!

Hausfrau Tue 19-Jul-05 10:19:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frizbe Tue 19-Jul-05 10:32:49

Don't panic, she'll be fine (at least on the way out! night flights I've discovered aren't as good)
There are changing facilites, although very small....if she can stand up, your better changing her upright...
Looks like either you or your dd will be spending a lot of time walking up and down the plane, our dd got to know loads of people.....we got seated at the back on the way out, so lots of running around room.
Also took lots of new books, to open one an hour, some new crayons n a pad to scribble on...she attempted to watch tv for some of the time (Balamory n Fimbles! thank you Virgin!)
We used Calpol on the way back for that nighttime I don't wanna sleep bit...
Good luck n enjoy your hols!

mojomands Tue 19-Jul-05 11:30:16

Have just been informed My Travel /Airtors are not too good and rather cramped - seriously considering buying another seat for her (she's a big girl with very long legs!)May seem like a cop out and a whole waste of money but sitting inbetween me and dh seems a bit more doable!

CADS Tue 19-Jul-05 11:52:04

I used medised with my 17mnth old recently and it worked a treat.

At least there are two of you to distract and entertain her. I usually let ds stand on my lap and chat to the people behind me. You will be amazed how many people will actually chat away with them. Also, the times I think ds has been a terror are the times people have actually come up to me and told me he was very good and that I am
a lucky mother.

Good luck, it won't be as bad as you think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now