Talk

Advanced search

How do you deal with rude passengers on a plane?

(122 Posts)
gemmamay Mon 18-Jul-05 14:26:29

Hi All

I must write and have a rant as I am so annoyed!

We have just flown back on from the US on a night flight - we have a 2 year old.

We did all we could to wear her out during the day, swimming, running about on the beach to make ure she would sleep - even had a some phenergan for emergencies!

When she started to cry (she sometimes does just before she konks out) the women in front turned around and started moaning to us, saying couldn't we jsut get her to go to sleep as she had been putting up with it for an hour (it was 5 mins max)!!!

I was so upset - dh tld her to sit back down and we were trying our best - I had to walk off as I was in tears.

The staff were great on the plane (BA flight) and talked to the woman and told her (she had been upgraded) if she wanted to sit child free she could do so back in economy!

But what would you do in that situation - flying with children is stressful enough but with passengers like that how are you supposed to cope?

PS - dd did sleep through in the end!

handlemecarefully Mon 18-Jul-05 14:31:16

I would have something bitterly sarcastic like,

Goodness I'm sorry. Of course you are right - I'll just buzz the cabin crew and ask them if they have something that I can gag her with. Or maybe she can travel in the luggage hold?

WigWamBam Mon 18-Jul-05 14:34:33

My usual reaction to people being like that anywhere was always "My daughter is vile because she's two years old. What's your excuse?"

SoupDragon Mon 18-Jul-05 14:37:37

"Oh thank you very much! She was just dropping off and you've woken her up you rude old bat"

Caligula Mon 18-Jul-05 14:39:07

I like the WWB one. Will store that up for future use!

Tinker Mon 18-Jul-05 14:39:18

Oh I like that one WWB. Must remember that.

outofsync Mon 18-Jul-05 14:43:13

Last time in tescos when dd (2yrs) was in full tantrum mode, I got tutted at by a middle aged crone. I said to her 'congratulations on having had children who never cried or screamed. You must have been an amazing mother.' She soon wandered off but no more tutting.

dinosaur Mon 18-Jul-05 14:43:54

Much sympathy gemmamay.

Had similar experience on a train recently. I was travelling on my own with three DSs.

We were supposed to have seats at a table, but the chap who booked it had messed up and so we had two lots of airline seats instead. DS1 sat on his own in one lot with DS2 and me behind (DS3 on my knee).

DS2 was playing with the folding table - I wouldn't have let him do it if there had been another adult in the seat in front, but it was only DS1, who wouldn't care - so I was just letting him get on with it.

Then someone in the seat behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said "Can you stop him doing that - he's getting on my nerves."

My heart sank, but I asked DS2 to stop which, mercifully, he did without too much protest (he's a typical threenager!).

But then the cheeky old bag turned to the woman beside her and said "Children these days are allowed to do exactly what they like - I think it's very sad."

I'm afraid I turned round and told her that I thought she was very rude.

handlemecarefully Mon 18-Jul-05 15:26:19

"I'm afraid I turned round and told her that I thought she was very rude".
...that sounds quite mild as responses go. C'mon, what did you actually say?

Frizbe Mon 18-Jul-05 15:29:27

Ooh sounds like dd on the way back from the states at Easter, luckily we had an off duty airhostess in front of us, I say luckily, because dd decided that kicking the seat in front was a good hours entertainment, before screaming until the calpol kicked in...dum de dum and they were still nice to us when we got off!!! must congratulate Mr Branson on his choice of staff!

fishfinger Mon 18-Jul-05 15:31:17

i think kids shoudlent be in business class tbh

SoupDragon Mon 18-Jul-05 15:31:51

Might have been 1st class, FF.

Frizbe Mon 18-Jul-05 15:33:41

Usually only 1st class at airlines discression tho, I can't see what's wrong with business class, fishfinger, not on a flight that is mainly tourists anwyay, I can see the argument if its from say NYC and will be the daily red eye....surely you would think kids would sleep better in larger seats/spaces tho?

fishfinger Mon 18-Jul-05 15:34:40

if i spent alot of money on a plane seat id be hackced off ot have kdis in a 20 meter radius
I d have a gun to hypnotise them

Enid Mon 18-Jul-05 15:35:32

if I go anywhere without my kids I am hacked off to have any kids in a 20m radius

SoupDragon Mon 18-Jul-05 15:35:40

Personally I think children can sit wherever their parents have paid for them to sit although if it's called "business" its not really appropriate.

SoupDragon Mon 18-Jul-05 15:36:18

Sometimes when I', travelling with my children I'm hacked of to have any children in a 20m radius...

fishfinger Mon 18-Jul-05 15:36:19

yes put thej in ecomonmy
really! i really mean that!

Frizbe Mon 18-Jul-05 15:38:08

I'm sure my two year old would love to bother the whole economy section whilst I resided up in business class not going to happen tho, as us mere pesants can only afford cattle class...

Enid Mon 18-Jul-05 15:38:15

soupy!

always raising the bar that little bit higher

Caligula Mon 18-Jul-05 15:38:19

If someone's in business class their company's usually paid for it anyway. So they shouldn't be complaining about their fellow passengers. I hate people with colds, people with acne, people who fart, people who sweat profusely, people who sniff, people who listen to walkmans, look like they're reading a more interesting book than me, are slimmer than me, have make up which stays on for the whole flight.... the list of irritations is absolutely endless, but good-mannered people tolerate these horrors and shut up about them. I really don't see why children is the one area where the rest of the world can throw their manners out the window (so to speak).

fishfinger Mon 18-Jul-05 15:38:49

ah but fgs ay kid going on woudl annoy you

Enid Mon 18-Jul-05 15:39:13

god children are annoying on planes though

my heart always used to sink when I sat near one

Caligula Mon 18-Jul-05 15:39:55

Everyone's annoying on planes. Especially the bastard sitting next to you, whoever, they are.

katierocket Mon 18-Jul-05 15:40:08

bloody hell,
if they've paid for it (well their parents anyway) they have as much right to sit in business or 1st class as adults surely. Bet Apple and beckham sprogs are allowed in 1st class with no complaints! If you had the money to go business class with your children you're tell me you wouldn't ^for the sake of the other passengers^ ?! I don't believe it.

see fish - still angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now