Talk

Advanced search

Northumberland

(14 Posts)
jalopy Sun 17-Jul-05 18:53:23

Haven't been there for some years. Any 'must-do' places to visit up there? Thanks

saffy202 Sun 17-Jul-05 19:14:53

One places on my 'must do's' this summer is Alnwick Gardens. New for this year is a giant tree house which they claim is one of the biggest in the world. There is also a Labyrinth. Whilst there will visit the castle to see where Harry Potter was filmed.

Other places....Whitehouse Farm at Morpeth, Metro Centre, Gateshead for retail therapy

AuntyQuated Sun 17-Jul-05 19:18:18

beamish museum

diggerland

lindisfarne

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 19:20:30

Beamish is fab (is in County Durham, but v close to Northumberland).

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 19:23:23

Beamish Special Events

AuntyQuated Sun 17-Jul-05 19:41:15

janh..are you joining the lakes meet up thread?

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 19:42:03

lakes meetup?

bakedpotato Sun 17-Jul-05 19:50:26

My parents just got back from that neck of the woods and my goodness they sold these wild cattle to me, not least bcs they're all clones and if one gets touched by a human they all round on it and maybe kill it, no one was sure

anchovies Sun 17-Jul-05 19:55:57

Defo agree on alnwick, lindesfarne and beamish

Janh Sun 17-Jul-05 19:57:49

Alnwick was featured in a piece on council tax revaluations in the Guardian - it has become so popular (mostly thanks to HP) that property values have shot up and they will all be going up 2 bands

It is very picturesque though.

jalopy Sun 17-Jul-05 20:29:27

Many thanks for your suggestions. I'm writing them all down!!

Ellbell Sun 17-Jul-05 20:51:54

Alnwick gardens are wonderful. Not quite finished yet, but still great. My dds (5 and 3) really liked the tree house and also the various fountains (take a change of clothes... the kids will get wet!).

Don't know how old your kids are, but if they are small-ish and if the weather isn't good, there is a really good indoor play area in Amble - Castle Mania. It's signposted off the main road.

Have fun!

popsycal Sun 17-Jul-05 21:13:07

watch out for the speed cameras next to castle mania
grrrr

amylou Mon 18-Jul-05 13:46:02

Bamburgh castle is lovely - you can spend a good afternoon there.. its got plenty inside to see as well as an extra bit of a aircraft museum and a nice cafe! Lovely views from the top of it too.
Then once you are there its only a couple of miles to seahouses for the beach resort for fish and chips!
Also definately agree with Alnwick gardens - we've just been - its great there! Definately need a change of clothes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now