Talk

Advanced search

Going to NY city early dec, any tips on booking?

(18 Posts)
Ulysees Sat 16-Jul-05 18:16:59

I'm off to NY city with my friend and it looks like we're going to fly from manchester but London could also be an option? I did look at booking at a travel agent but it was going to be over 700 each so I've been searching online. Can anyone recommend a reliable site? Has anyone else been for a weekend and is it worth the hassle for such a short break?

Micku5 Sat 16-Jul-05 18:23:50

Hi,

Have you tried cheapflights.co.uk they give you a list of companies and either telephone numbers or website links. I went to NY earlier this year and booked with Virgin Airlines via dialaflight.co.uk and it cost just over £200.00.

If you are going shopping then my tip is to take a big suitcase with you because there are some real bargains to be had.

Frizbe Sat 16-Jul-05 18:27:54

Not been for just a weekend, but you'll love it, just far too much to do and see in 4 days!
Flying into Newark, is just as easy as JFK, Newark have a monorail link open now, so dead easy to get into NYC. I always recommend flying with virgin if you can, Sale on at the mo! if you can wangle the Thurs as well, they used to have a fab 16;30 out of Heathrow, got into Newark at 19:30 (as I recall) local time, so fab if you can do it, gives you an extra night getting used to time differences etc!
Not sure about hotels in NYC, as have always stayed in Jersey myself (with friends) and commuted, but enjoy, its a great city!

Frizbe Sat 16-Jul-05 18:30:08

Oh tip on shopping! you pay lots of sales tax in NYC, pop to the Jersey Malls and pay none!

Ulysees Sat 16-Jul-05 18:30:23

thanks micku5 i'll take a look

Satine Sat 16-Jul-05 18:31:18

Personally I'd avoid the big tourist hotels around Times Square and go for a quirky little one in Greenwich Village - that's what we did. And don't waste time looking for really cheap deals - we found accommodation was quite expensive throughout Manhattan. But I'd go back there tomorrow - I LOVED it! You lucky lucky thing...

Ulysees Sat 16-Jul-05 18:31:57

thanks frizbe. I've just been chatting to my friend about going thursday funnily enough. As long as we can get childcare for her we may do that.

Ulysees Sat 16-Jul-05 18:33:45

yes satine we fancy staying in Manhattan. Ooooo I'm getting so excited I'm off on a cruise Tuesday with the family and all I can go on about is NY at home.

Nemo1977 Sat 16-Jul-05 19:07:50

ooo we went couple of years ago and booked online for end of nov cost us £900 for two of us including 5nights accomodaion in hotel thirty thirty which is just around corner from empire state building and 15min wlak to times square etc. We flew from manchester and it takes around 8hrs. IT is a fab place and well worth the trip..only thing is jet lag hits on second day so if u can gor for 4/5 rather than 2. Trying to rack my brain for website but cant remember hope u have a fab time

Micku5 Sat 16-Jul-05 20:38:36

Ulysees i forget to mention that that was for flight only. I am sure you can get good prices on hotels though depending on where you want to stay.

MeerkatsUnite Sat 16-Jul-05 21:25:21

Have done NYC for a weekend and its well worth it. Tiring though!.

Would suggest you read www.tripadvisor.com to check customer reviews before actually booking any hotel that you like the sound of.

Rather than JFK fly into Newark instead. JFK is miles out and its a dump. There is now a direct express train service into Manhattan from Newark.

If you fly out at the beginning of December this will cost less than flying out there a couple of weeks later. Would also suggest you fly from Manchester direct rather than doing the journey down south, the flight's long enough as it is without adding further to it.

Check out Virgin or BA's websites re flights - do not use any American based carrier.

December can be very cold in NYC (it does snow there at that time of year) so wrap up warm!.

ja9 Sat 16-Jul-05 21:52:14

we booked with expedia. we went in october 2003 for 10 days. iirc it cost us about £650 each, 330 ish for flights (return from glasgow)and the remainder for accommodation. we stayed in the Ameritania hotel just off broadway above times sq - about 51/52nd street. we were really pleased with our whole package.

ja9 Sat 16-Jul-05 21:54:28

sorry, forgot to say.. we flew with aer lingus. it was one of the cheaper options but completely satisfactory. on the way home, due to aer lingus strikes, we flew with british airways and it felt a good bit more 'luxurious'!!

sallystrawberry Tue 19-Jul-05 23:53:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Milge Wed 20-Jul-05 00:03:20

We are going too for the first weekend in Dec - BA's website has some good prices for flights only. We booked via Trailfinders on Kensington high street in London who are fab!. We don't need accom as we are staying with friends, but would second recommendations to use tripadvisor and fly into newark. The Q's at JFK immigration are awful iirc.

Ulysees Fri 05-Aug-05 22:52:09

Sorry I haven't been back but been on a 2 week cruise with Ocean Village, which was fantastic!!! I've just booked the same cabin for next year.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice, still haven't booked up but hope to this weekend.

Hiya Sally, I haven't been able to get on msn for ages? Hope you're ok xxxx

sallystrawberry Fri 05-Aug-05 23:28:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ulysees Tue 09-Aug-05 19:05:54

Can;t seem to get direct from man to ny? Has anyone managed to get this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now