Talk

Advanced search

Changing a baby on a plane

(13 Posts)
Catsmother Fri 15-Jul-05 15:54:05

As I'm typing I'm aware this is going to sound like such a dumb question, but I've never flown more than 3 hours with a baby in nappies (and luckily he didn't poo in that time). However, if a baby does do a dirty nappy, or if you're on a longer flight, just where do you change them ?!

Plane loos are difficult enough to get in and out of on your own - it'd be impossible to lie a baby down (and would you want to ?) and I've never been aware of specific baby changing areas. Maybe long haul jumbos have them (?) but imagining a charter jet where everyone is crammed in, I can't think how you'd do this !

cas73 Fri 15-Jul-05 15:55:17

They have a baby changing board folded over the toilet. Not much space, but gets the job done!!

Chandra Fri 15-Jul-05 15:58:26

Jumbos have a tiny changing space at the back of the toilet seat if I remeber correctly. As the toilet is so small I only get with me a tiny box of baby wipes, the nappy, and a thin nappy changer (and the baby, of course ). As they groe older you can change them while they stand on the toilet seat.

Eshay Fri 15-Jul-05 21:31:13

We went to New Zealand with a 7 month-old and had to do numerous nappy changes. Some of the toilets have a fold down table over the loo but as mentioned before they are very small so only take the ssentials in with you.

Make sure you bring lots of nappy cream as DS devoped a huge rash somewhere over Singapore and you can't really air the baby's bum on the plane...

If you have a basinette booked, bring a sheet/thin blanket and some clothes pegs so you can use that to make a canopy over it. This keeps out the light and stops people cooing at your baby when you're desperate for him/her to go to sleep.

jennifersofia Sat 16-Jul-05 22:21:05

Oh dear, I have never seen a baby changing thingy or space in the loos on planes we have been on (though we have never flown 1st class!) Always had to do it on my lap - which is do-able but challenging.

Fran1 Sat 16-Jul-05 22:24:51

Do it on your lap! or travelling companions lap if you have one.

nannyjo Sat 16-Jul-05 22:27:10

we were on a small plane and had change thing in loos.

Big ones are sure to have them too, if not then go up to the front where the cabin crew are and use their floor space.

The crew will be happy to help i'm sure.

Eshay Sat 16-Jul-05 22:54:53

Yes, in my experience crew are very helpful. We flew Qantas and they kept asking us if we needed anything. I was given a whole bottle of Evian to keep by my seat for bubs and some nappies too when we were caught short.

I'm not too sure about changing baby on your lap, the Qantas website specifically requests not to do that. I can understand many people wouldn't be too happy having to witness a full nappy being changed. Obviously I would gladly do it on my lap if no other option was available.

MumsRCool Sat 16-Jul-05 22:55:03

We took DS on long haul flights recently and found that the change table in the loos was fine. Must admit that I had never noticed it before I had to look for one so think that it's a valid question. Don't forget your change mat as the unit isn't padded and take a change of clothes for baby in case they're ill or have a leaky nappy. This has happened to 2 friends who've done long haul and baby has left the flight in nothing but a nappy

Crazymama Sat 16-Jul-05 22:55:32

All charter flights I have been on have changing boards in the loos. Like said previously they are cramped and I hate plane toilets.

So I just do it where we sit. On my knee or if your child has a seat just lie them on there (or if no seat, get your other half to go to toilet and use his seat). Easy enough and never attracted attention.

Catbert Sat 16-Jul-05 23:07:55

I have to say that I send DH off to change my DDs on planes. He's good like that, but he says there's somewhere to change them. It's small. It was a pain in the arse.

I was also annoyed on a plane trip back being told there was no milk on board to fill my DDs bottle (they weren't allowed?), although on the way out there was. Teach me for making assumptions. Luckily not a long flight.

Flum Sun 17-Jul-05 00:11:25

Simply hold baby up to stewardess and announce in a confident and even tone ' I would like to change this baby for a seat in first class' - smile politely and hold the gaze. It is sure to work.

MumsRCool Sun 17-Jul-05 00:53:25

LOL Flum, took me a minute to get it, but got there in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now