Talk

Advanced search

In Edinburgh for 1 week with 2 kids - things to do?

(6 Posts)
flea Wed 13-Jul-05 09:26:35

I know this has probably been asked before but couldnt find precise info.
I have a 3 yr old and 18 month old and am staying in Edinburgh for 1 week from 20th July.
Need ideas of things to do to keep them entertained and also a list of child friendly restaurants.
Also recommendations of beaches relatively near by would be good!

flea Wed 13-Jul-05 11:05:01

bump..any help at all nobody living in Edinburgh who wants to sing its praises to a novice?

tabitha Wed 13-Jul-05 11:09:33

Hi flea,

a lot will depend on the weather and whether you've got a car or not.
Without access to a car, the following come to mind: Edinburgh Zoo; Gorgie City Farm (free); Botanic Gardens and Inverleith Park nearby (both free - I think); Walks/feeding the ducks in Holyrood Park; Portobello Beach (okay if the weather's good and easy busing distance from city-cintre); Museum of Childhood (free); Meadows (a big open space not too far from the city centre with children's playgrounds in it); even Princes Street Gardens (right in the centre of Edinburgh) is great for kids to run around in and you can watch the trains going past;
North Berwick is nice for a visit - has two beaches, open air paddling poor and seabird centre - and you can go there by train in, I think, about 40 mins. Aberdour can also be reached by train and has lovely beaches, recommended in Good Beach Guide etc.
You might also want to look at the netmums/edinburgh site as they have details of places to go and events that are on.

binkie Wed 13-Jul-05 11:13:21

Here's a starter for you: Edin for kids

Basically it's got masses. Where are you staying? Do you have your own transport? The best beaches are a drive away - our favourite was always Yellowcraigs . (I grew up in Edin. but only aged parents there now - but my two (4 and 6) love going there.)

flea Wed 13-Jul-05 11:32:59

We will be staying with my sister who leaves directly across from Arthur's Seat so very near Holyrood Park. We have a car but want to be able to use Public transport where possible as there isnt enough room in the car for 4 adults and 2 kids!

Thanks for all the help so far.

binkie Wed 13-Jul-05 11:40:48

Which side Arthur's Seat? If Newington side, Clambers at Commonwealth Pool (soft play thing) has been Mum & Dad's sanity-saver through all 10 (so far) grandchildren.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now