Talk

Advanced search

Dairy Allergy in Italy

(10 Posts)
Gillian76 Tue 12-Jul-05 15:05:04

We're off to Italy next week and DD2 has a dairy allergy. She normally has soya milk, yogurts and ice cream but I'm not sure if these will be readily available over there.

Anyone had experience of freezing these products? I was thinking of freezing some yogurts and milk and taking them in a coolbag, on the assumption that they would be defrosted but still chilled when we get there. We are flying and I don't know whether the airline would have a problem with this.

OTOH, I suppose Italians have dairy allergies too!

LIZS Tue 12-Jul-05 15:24:31

If you are going to a largish place you will probably be ok. Not sure about taking dairy on the plane, unless you could find UHT type stuff I think the normal may go off, but you can only ask.

Ellbell Tue 12-Jul-05 16:44:06

Gillian

Write out the following and stick it in your handbag. Then if you're unsure in restaurants and shops, you can always show someone, and hopefully they'll be able to direct you towards non-dairy, soya-based products.

"Mia figlia e' [that should really be an 'e' with an accent on it...] allergica ai latticini. Puo' [ditto, re. accent] avere soltanto i prodotti a base di soja. Avete qualcosa che le potrebbe andar bene? Grazie"

(That is... My daughter is allergic to dairy products. She can only have soya-based products. Do you have anything that would be OK for her? Thank you)

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine. People will be helpful. Whereabouts are you going? As far as ice-creams are concerned, most gelaterie have a huge variety of fruit-based sorbet type flavours, which I presume would be OK for your DD.

Have fun!

Gillian76 Tue 12-Jul-05 16:54:57

Thanks, Ellbell! We are going to a campsite near Salo at Lake Garda

Nickinha Tue 12-Jul-05 17:02:34

I have just got back from Italy! We went over for two weeks holiday and also spent it at camping sites - its wonderful, sure you will have a great time. Sorry I never paid attention to their dairy products, but sure you will be alright - HAVE A GREAT TIME

Gillian76 Tue 12-Jul-05 17:18:48

We're all really looking forward to it

Ellbell Tue 12-Jul-05 19:03:37

Oh, Lake Garda is beautiful. I'm sure you'll be fine. Obviously there are a lot of dairy products around (cheese, ice-cream, etc.) but you'll be able to avoid it, I'm sure.

Have a lovely holiday.

ks Tue 12-Jul-05 19:06:08

Message withdrawn

collision Tue 12-Jul-05 19:10:24

We live in Tuscany and there are plenty of dairy free products for your daughter. My Dh is from Lake Garda and assures me there will be plenty of choice for her.

Gillian76 Wed 13-Jul-05 00:41:38

Oh thanks collision. That's good to hear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now