Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

First family hoiliday with a 10mth old-any suggestions plz......

(6 Posts)
mum2sam Tue 12-Jul-05 10:24:17

Hi me and dh really want to go abroad this year with ds who will 10mths. The only time dh can get off work is in the middle of august. We havent been abroad in ages so was really looking forward to it however my mother put a dampner on the idea by saying that it will be way too hot to take ds abroad in august and he may not like it.Dh cant change his leave and I dont want to leave ds behind. I live in devon so want to go somewhere different. I really would like to go abroad but not sure if ds will be alright he doesnt seem to be affected by the heatwave we are having now.Should i just settle for a holiday in the uk help plz...

swedishmum Tue 12-Jul-05 10:29:56

Don't go anywhere TOO hot and obviously take all the normal precautions you take in the heat here but definitely go abroad. When we took dd to Bahamas at 5 months dh did outdoor stuff with the other 3 then we came out to the pool or beach about 5 ish for 2 or 3 hours. In Italy we went to a hotel with a small indoor pool as well as outdoor ones, and covered over soft play area. It will be different from being on the beach all day but it will be great fun. Places are much more geared up for small children now. Also make the most of it before ds is 2 and you have to pay loads for him on the plane!

Chuffed Tue 12-Jul-05 10:48:32

We took dd to Red Sea at 5.5mths in early sept and yes it was hot.
We spent quite a bit of time under sun umbrellas or in the shade. Make sure they drink lots of water. One thing I would take this time would be a small inflatable paddling pool which you can leave in the sun to heat up a bit and then they can play in the luke warm water and stay cool. dd hated the sea as it was still too cold.
My mum said the same thing but kids adapt and it is good for them to get out and about in my opinion.

spub Tue 12-Jul-05 12:00:36

Might be the wrong time of year so you could check temperatures and stuff but I'd strongly recommend Italy. The Italians we have met love babies and kids and will fall over themselves to help you. Also you eat later at night and can have the wee one with you without any disapproving looks 'cos lots of Italian kids are up having dinner at 8/9pm.
We took our then 8 month old dd to the Marche area 2 years ago - it's on the Adriatic coast but also near the mountains. Being touted as the new Tuscany but not as touristy or expensive by any means.

spub Tue 12-Jul-05 12:03:12

Might be the wrong time of year so you could check temperatures and stuff but I'd strongly recommend Italy. The Italians we have met love babies and kids and will fall over themselves to help you. Also you eat later at night and can have the wee one with you without any disapproving looks 'cos lots of Italian kids are up having dinner at 8/9pm.
We took our then 8 month old dd to the Marche area 2 years ago - it's on the Adriatic coast but also near the mountains. Being touted as the new Tuscany but not as touristy or expensive by any means.

mum2sam Tue 12-Jul-05 16:33:43

thanx guys will def look into italy, any other suggestions.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now