Talk

Advanced search

Mayday! i think i've agreed to something very stupid

(52 Posts)
sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:29:03

oh no, oh no... have consented to flying ALONE with 2 yr old ds & 5 yr old dd to Vancouver & back again. Hulababy just gave me a hint as to what i'm in for. PLEASE HELP ME!

Hulababy Mon 11-Jul-05 21:30:21

No, don't worry about it. It'll be fine. Just take stuff to entertain the children, rather than a book for yourself. You could always put a bottle of Calpol in your hand luggage if thing get bad (Only joking, honest!)

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:32:10

no, hula, i've thought of calpol. also of anything else that's safe to give little ones. cough mixture? gin? (just joking, i think)

trefusis Mon 11-Jul-05 21:33:25

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 11-Jul-05 21:36:41

Just tryong to think of what we take:

* Magazines - especially ones with a little free gift oon front (check it is something they can use on plane); our 3yo likes ones like Toy Box where there are lots of activities to do inside
* Story books
* Little car/action figures/dolls etc.
* Paper and crayons
* One of those magnetic boards with the little pictures (icome in different characters) or fuzzy felt (cheap one as you will lose pieces)

Hulababy Mon 11-Jul-05 21:36:57

Oh and snack/drink treats too.

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:38:35

okay, i need to hear from "loads of people". no, dd can't read yet but loves books but i can't envision toting enough books for 9 hours. OR enough of anything. Worst case scenario: what if someone tries to hurt ds, who screams blue murder when frustrated, tired, hungry, bored, etc.

groooooaaan!

Hulababy Mon 11-Jul-05 21:39:26

Try and aim for one new thing per half hour. Allow time for meals too.

Chandra Mon 11-Jul-05 21:41:15

Search the archives, there are lots of useful info there (even how to wash dry clothes in an aircraft should you need to

Miaou Mon 11-Jul-05 21:41:26

With your bag of tricks, get out one or two things at a time, rather than letting them look through the whole thing - that way you will always have a "surprise" up your sleeve.

And don't underestimate the appeal of snacks - a box of raisins, carrot sticks/breadsticks produced at a time of boredom will work wonders....

And sit in between them so you can keep them apart if they fight!

moondog Mon 11-Jul-05 21:41:39

Oh i do this sort of thing loads.
JUst expect it to be f*ing grim and believe me,it will be.

One airline has Norland trained nannies in flight. Virgin I think????

Doesn't that sound heavenly???

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:44:40

i can see myself already trundling through terminal 3 or 4 or whatever it is now... ds in pushchair, nappy bag slung over handles (causing pushchair to tip over if ds gets up), me with enormous rucksack, full of toys, books, snacks, extra clothing for all in case of spills, dd struggling with Baby Born under one arm, pulling child-sized bag... do i take a handbag? where do i put it? where do i put passports, plane tickets, boarding cards...

i can't stand it. i feel like Charlie Brown.

Chandra Mon 11-Jul-05 21:45:42

Somebody mentioned to me that it was important to dress the kids in a way that they couldn't loo more cute... It works, people even ask you to "borrow" them so you can eat your dinner in peace.

I was expecting something terrible the first time, instead I was pleasantly surprised to see so many people willing to help by carrying DS, my luggage, or even put my bags in order so I didn't loose a conection. It brang my faith in humanity back

moondog Mon 11-Jul-05 21:46:02

Why are you subjecting yourself to this ss???

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:46:56

Flying BA, btw. no chance of an upgrade, i guess?

Hulababy Mon 11-Jul-05 21:47:14

I got DD one of those suitcases on wheels, with handle - a little one. That has all her inflight stuff in it, and she is in charge of it. DD has a little carrier for her dolly.

moondog Mon 11-Jul-05 21:47:52

Errr,there may be for the people who find themselves net to you and yours.

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:48:37

that's the #1 question, moondog & i haven't got the answer. I'm damned stupid & impulsive.

Chandra Mon 11-Jul-05 21:48:52

Ring the airline and ask for the first row of seats, it has extra space in front that allow your children some space to play.

If you even need more space, apologise in advance to the other passenger saying that your children feel a bit grumpy as they have spent the night eeling sick, if there are any other empty spaces in the plane your neighbour will head for them and with in a minute you end up with at least an extra seat

spidermama Mon 11-Jul-05 21:49:48

I flew from London to Glasgow with a 5 month old and a 5 year old and was in tears when dh came to meet me at the end of it all. Sorry.

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:49:57

dd has a little red bag shaped like a ladybird with black dots on it. what shall i do with baby born??

moondog Mon 11-Jul-05 21:50:49

Baby Bjorn ya mean? (Or the Bjorn Borg as dh calls it.)

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:51:20

i'm feeling worse by the minute. what posessed me to post this on here? please, you guys!

Hulababy Mon 11-Jul-05 21:51:24

What about a doll carrier thing? Got outs for about £6 from Toys R Us.

moondog Mon 11-Jul-05 21:53:16

Oh you mean a doll**??!!
No way! You must be ruthless with unnecessary crap being hauled onto the aircraft.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now