Talk

Advanced search

Right.... The NDP Tribe are taking to the Med. Advice re buggy on plane please

(23 Posts)
NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 15:39:53

Well, the time for the Plume Family holiday is almost upon us. This year we are braving a week in the Med (Port Andrax, Majorca). This will be our first abroad holiday since having DD almost 3 years ago. Soooooooooooo looking forward to it.

Anyway, my question is re the buggy. DD has not bothered with the buggy for a year now, but I've dug it out, dusted it off and cleaned it up so that we can take it with us. Just so that we can be out as a family later than 7pm, especially given that we are staying in a private villa which is a drive away from anywhere, and so we'd like to be able to stay out as late as we can get away with, for the DSs as much as DH & I.

What is the best way to transport a reclining Umbrella fold buggy ? I've heard that baggage handlers are less than delicate when man-handling baby transport. It has one of those little catches on the side to lock it together and I'll be locking the front swivel wheels. I'm not forking out for a bag for the thing, so are there any cheapo fixes that will minimise the damage to the buugy ? The locking catch is ok but doesn't really hold it firm. Would a couple of those zip tie thingies be a good idea, just to stop it flopping open ?

Ta

P.S. I have no idea how this turned into such a lonnnnnnnng post for just the one straightforward question....

elliott Mon 11-Jul-05 15:42:32

Are you putting it in as hold baggage or taking it to the gate?
I've taken my Maclaren abroad several times now and apart from bendy bits getting a bit more bent, its survived fine. I always take it to the gate and it usually comes back via the baggage carousel. Once it wasn't on the flight but got delivered to my local address on the next flight.

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 15:44:10

I didn;t know that there were options for that, ideally i'd like to take it as far as I can get away with, so I suppose that would be the gate.

spidermama Mon 11-Jul-05 15:47:37

BA will often let you put it in the main part of the plane. But easyjet won't.

I don't want to alarm you but Easy Jet completely dismantled my buggy (took wheels off) and tied it up. It also came around the carousel last. I was nearly crying as it was really hot and I had my giant baby strapped to me and my 5 year old talking non-stop as I struggle in amonst the crowd, with all our baggage, trying to put the buggy back together.

spidermama Mon 11-Jul-05 15:48:16

But that springy thick elastic rope is great for tying it up. Easy to get on and off.

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 15:48:23

Just checking who we are flying with...

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 15:48:43

bmibaby

Joley Mon 11-Jul-05 15:49:04

We've taken a buggy several times for DS1 & DS2. We always wrap a bungy rope (Elastic thing with a hook at either end, available at car spare shops and in asda in the car spares section)round the buggy to make sure it doesn't open up in transit and get broken.

We always take the buggy to the gate at this end and have usually collected it on the tarmac as it comes off the plane at the other end.

We do the same coming back but can't collect at this end until it comes out with the other baggage. This is a bit of a pain as we usually end up carrying a tired toddler for miles through Manchester Airport.

The buggy has never been damaged, it just gets a bit dusty!

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 15:49:23

Gawd, spidermama, that sounds hellish

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 15:50:24

thanks for these replies BTW

Joley Mon 11-Jul-05 15:51:00

We went with BMI Baby, no dismanteling, everything was fine.

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 15:52:07

Phew Joley !

okapi Mon 11-Jul-05 15:53:58

We once checked the buggy in a hold luggage and Virgin put it in a big plastic bag to protect it

gingerbear Mon 11-Jul-05 15:56:10

We went with bmibaby - we could take the buggy right up to the gate (make sure you check it in with your cases - the check in staff will put a big sticker on it, then you can take it to the gate - makes sure it gets put on the right carousel on arrival)
Take a bungy and wrap it up, make sure you tuck in any dangly bits, like straps and buckles.

gingerbear Mon 11-Jul-05 15:57:58

Pt Andrax is v posh and v hilly - NDP=Now Darned Posh (ignore me I am jealous of you off on hols.....)

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 15:58:01

It looks like this bungey thing is the way to go, then. Thanks

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 16:00:01

Ginge - If I'm battling with a wilful toddler and 2 surly teens/pre-teens then I need luxury ! It does look gorgeous, I have to say. We've hired a car, so not bothered about the hills

gingerbear Mon 11-Jul-05 16:02:48

Totally agree you deserve luxury - can't you book the surlies into a kidscamp instead?

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 16:04:06

Oh yeah, can imagine telling DS1 that he's booked in for a week of face painting and beach rounders. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PrincessPeaHead Mon 11-Jul-05 16:35:25

take the sun hood off and pack it, that is the bit they normally really kill.
otherwise bung it in the hold and hold your breath. If they do much damage they are usually pretty quick to give you £100 for a new one.

NomDePlume Mon 11-Jul-05 16:35:52

Brilliant, cheers

cas73 Mon 11-Jul-05 16:42:30

NOt many airlines let you take the buggy on board, but if you manage to convince them definetely do. Palma airport is a very long walk from the plane to the carousel (and I really mean VERY LONG!)

vkone Mon 11-Jul-05 17:26:53

We've taken our buggy on the last 3 flights (BA and Ryanair) and had no problems. We tell them we want it til take off when booking in and then hand it over at the plane, asking the staff to get it to us when we land. That way it's last on, first off and handy whilst heading for the baggage claim.

HTH, Mia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now