Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Will G8 protesters cause problems on the roads on Friday? What if we miss our plane?

(14 Posts)
mears Wed 06-Jul-05 18:27:46

DH is worried that protesters are going to wreak havoc on Friday and we might not have an easy road to Glasgow airport on Friday morning. Need to be at check-in for 9.30am. I personally don't think we will havbe a problem but todays scenes on the TV have put the wind up DH.

THe police presence where we are is amazing. They are camped in a school near to us and the movement of policemen back and forth beggars belief. There are support ambulances there and noisy police dogs.

Saw Airforce One land this afternoon. There are helicopters buzzing around too.

I think the chances of getting rooms in a hotel at the airport are nil, but maybe we should try.

It has amazed me how this summit is classed as 3 days yet Mr Bush didn't arrive in Scotland till 2.30pm and they will all start leaving on Friday afternoon.

Anyway, what do you reckon. Leave early for airport on Friday or try our luck and stay in Glasgow night before?

Gomez Wed 06-Jul-05 18:29:58

I would take my chances on Friday AM Mears I think. How far have you got to travel?

mears Wed 06-Jul-05 18:32:16

About 30 miles. Normally should take about 50 mins.

RTKangaMummy Wed 06-Jul-05 18:46:09

Can you leave @ about 2 am for the airport?

I always go to planes early

Cos they will not wait for you

Gomez Wed 06-Jul-05 18:48:49

Think you will be okay Mears. Will you be travelling along the M8?

mears Wed 06-Jul-05 18:51:30

Thought we perhaps should avoid M8, or chance it and just turn off if any problems encountered.

Gomez Wed 06-Jul-05 18:59:32

Dh reckons any detour to miss the M8 is huge so would take a chance and come off if needs be. Go early and have anice breakfast at the Airport?

tassis Wed 06-Jul-05 19:00:29

I think you'll probably be fine, mears. Friends here in Stirling had to get to Glasgow for a graduation today and reports were that you couldn't get out of Stilring. They were fine.

Having said that, I'd be stressing about it too!

mears Wed 06-Jul-05 19:01:16

Yup, that's what I think we should do too

Mind you, breakfast at the airport will cost about as much as the flights

tassis Wed 06-Jul-05 19:04:04

I'd take croissants and bananas, but I'm a total cheapskate! I might stretch to buying coffee!!

Have a great holiday. GOing somewhere nice?

mears Wed 06-Jul-05 19:11:35

Florida

Gomez Wed 06-Jul-05 19:18:02

Hope you get stuck for hours.....

Nah, enjoy.

Janh Wed 06-Jul-05 19:19:52

Don't forget the factor 15

(If it was me I would go the night before but only because I'm a zombie early mornings.)

Skribble Thu 07-Jul-05 00:33:52

Roads round glasgow should be fine unless there happens to be a vip flying in at that time, They are all here anyway and they are flying in via prestwick. M8 should be fine depends where you are coming from.

I have to go up A9 to fife tomorrow, think I might go via north in a big circle and avoid Stirling. I will just have to make like a tourist and enjoy the veiws better than sitting in a traffic jam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now